water keeps getting yellow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
my 29 gallon which I'm trying to makea show tank keeps getting yellow and more yellow and it stays yellow. I know its not the driftwood anymore realising tannins. I put it in a seprate bucket for about 2 weeks and the water stayed clear, nitrates are only at 10 ppm. nitrites 0. phosphates 1ppm. I'm guessing nitrates right? I know its the reason my walls are growing algea near the bottom and middle. I have a cascade 700 with the black sponge it came with, fitler floss on it, a coarse sponge and some bio balls ( like 3 ) which is nearly not enough, any suggestions???? I've done water changes and gravel sweep like crazy!!!

When I first set up my 55 gal tank the water would get really yellow or brown. It may have been due to driftwood, but I think it was more of a major amonia buildup from all the fish I had since the beginning.

I have Driftwood that I soaked for weeks and now have been in my planted tank for 3 years that still leech tannins into the water so that would be my fist guess for the yellowing in your tank. Another possibility is your water source you use for your tank. I use city water and every once awhile I have noticed there is a slight tint in the water or if you use well water, my grandmother had well water and it always had a tint to it.

I guess maybe it is the driftwood, its a depp dark piece of rootthat you use in reptile tanks lol but it look so great in the tank, well if its not the nitrates, what could I use to clear this up, carbon ( preferably not ), purigen?

If you don't want to use carbon, then water changes. I don't mind the tint myself, kind of gives it a natural look, I just got done ordering more driftwood for my 55G, which is not planted. Going to remove most of my stuff in it, and replace with a new cave for my eels, which I'm going to start making when I get my supplies in, and piled driftwood. Should look cool.

tropicfishman said:
I guess maybe it is the driftwood, its a depp dark piece of rootthat you use in reptile tanks lol but it look so great in the tank, well if its not the nitrates, what could I use to clear this up, carbon ( preferably not ), purigen?

I'm certainly not an expert, but I was told that most of the wood used in reptile tanks (grapevine, I think) was bad for aquariums. You might want to check that you have a safe piece of wood in there. There is a reason that aquariums use drift/bog wood.

Back
Top Bottom