water kinda dirty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrcoolt

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my water is kinda dirty. Its perfectly clear, there just seems to be stuff floating everywhere. I am thinking I may need to clean my cartridges. Any thoughts? Also, tank is cycled. Ammonia and nitrite ate at 0. Haven't tested the nitrate in a while. Stuff is floating even after a few days of my water change.

Like debris? What kind of filters do you use? You can clean them in tank water it won't hurt.

Also what size tank and what is your live stock?

Yes.. debris. Its a 29 gallon. I have 5 golden tetras, 5 cardinal tetras, 2 Cory cats, and a bristle nose pleco. I have a Bio wheel 350.

jrcoolt said:
Yes.. debris. Its a 29 gallon. I have 5 golden tetras, 5 cardinal tetras, 2 Cory cats, and a bristle nose pleco. I have a Bio wheel 350.

You can get a bigger filter or run 2 filters. What's your feeding like? Maybe over feeding? Do a nice water change and see if that helps.

I hate when my water gets a little dirty. I use polishing pads in a AC110.

You have a lot of fish and another filter IMO will do wonders for you.

Try doing a couple big WC's to remove and reduce the amount of particulate matter. As stated about you might be overfeeding or your filter may be too small. The quickest way tho is to do a couple good 50% WC's.

OK. I'll try the 50% change. Haven't done a big water change like that since my tank was finally cycled. The Bio wheel 350 is rated for 60 gallons, so I can't see that its not powerful enough for a 29 gallon, or is that false advertising?

Hi There with a tank that size when did you actually finish cycling the tank how long ago? The problem at times is not doing big enough water changes and often enough. The number of times I have seen people lose fish over the years just is beyond belief due to not having the proper advice. The 50% water change will certainly help not only the tank but the fish as well. I have always done a 50% water change each week just to ensure that the water and tank were fresh.

My tank finished cycling about a month ago. I do weekly water changes, just only about 25-30%.

It think Its your biowheel it agitates the water as it filters. I had the same problem it looks like dust. But its tiny air bubbles. Well that's what I think.

It think Its your biowheel it agitates the water as it filters. I had the same problem it looks like dust. But its tiny air bubbles. Well that's what I think.

That may be what is happening. I will try a 50% water change to see if there is any difference though. I do have an air stone, so that could be potentially adding to that as well. All of my fish are nice and happy and active, and the water quality is fine, so if it doesnt go away, I am not going to worry to much. I would be more worried of trying to get it to look perfectly clear, and do something to screw up my water quality.

Hi what kind of tank do you have?

Its an Aqueon 29 gallon. I got it at Petco a few months ago when they were having a $1 per gallon sale.

I am assuming if I take the bio wheels off, I just let them float in the water? I was told that is where all of the BB sits, and I do not want to recycle my tank.

remember when you empty your old tank water into your bucket or whatever you use, take out your filters and swish them in the old water to remove any gunk buildup. Then just put them back in the system. This way the good bacteria stays in the filters.

Back
Top Bottom