Water levels (physical/non chemical)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OsciTheOscar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This could be an extremely stupid question but just curious...

Whats the best method to maintain water levels on a physical level... as in the water level lowers and i want to maintain the level i leave it at when i do water changes.

I feel like canister filters do less damage to water levels as you can put the output under the water as apposed to HOB where the ouput leeps out and drops into the water creating aggitation and air bubbles.

Just curious of any feedback that could help... heres my tank...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1439247510137.jpg
    1439247510137.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 69
This could be an extremely stupid question but just curious...

Whats the best method to maintain water levels on a physical level... as in the water level lowers and i want to maintain the level i leave it at when i do water changes.

I feel like canister filters do less damage to water levels as you can put the output under the water as apposed to HOB where the ouput leeps out and drops into the water creating aggitation and air bubbles.

Just curious of any feedback that could help... heres my tank...

Less surface agitation and a tight fitting lid help to reduce evaporation. Raising the water level will reduce the splash from the HOB filters. Some folks affix a filter mat or similar material to the overflow of the HOB filter to reduce the splash.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Less surface agitation and a tight fitting lid help to reduce evaporation. Raising the water level will reduce the splash from the HOB filters. Some folks affix a filter mat or similar material to the overflow of the HOB filter to reduce the splash.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1 just a lid will prevent a good amount of evap.

Caleb

I have a lid. Probably gonna invest in a second canister filter sometime anyway.

Also gonna try that HOB attatchment idea.

I have what most would consider and overstocked tank due to mbuna and their aggression. Higher amounts of aggitation would be best for higher amounts of fish and waste correct?

Never had this problem with glass top and weekly water changes

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well i have the old school plastic lid/light combo

A glass top would help?

An automatic top off would fit the bill quite nicely. They are most commonly used in salt water (I lose a gallon a day in my reef tank) , but there's no reason not to use it in fresh.

It uses a sensor to monitor the water level in the tank and then turns on a pump to pump water into the tank from a reservoir.

Anything you do to reduce evaporation will in turn reduce oxygenation of the water.

Thanks, ill check it out!

Back
Top Bottom