Water quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tappy712002

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My nitrates are almost 0 my nitrates are within limits...my ph is 7.55 I have a 64ltr tank planted yet my 2 goldfish still not happy.. Doing 25% water changes every 2 days feeding every 2days... Is they're anything else I can do to help my lethargic fish? Running out of ideas!!

Hello tap...

Your tank is pretty small, and the chemistry can change pretty quickly. Goldfish are heavy waste producers. There might be room for some hardy plants, like varieties of Anubias, Java fern and maybe an Onion plant. Fish, in general, feel more comfortable if there are some plants in the tank. Larger water changes, half the tank's volume, once a week, will maintain a stable water chemistry better than small, more frequent changes.

B

Yes, get them a bigger tank. The 15g is too small for them TBH. Whats your ammonia level?

Not sure of my ammonia level though I'm assuming its more than it should be will get a test kit tomorrow!! My tank has been up and running for about 5wks though had fish in a smaller tank and transferred everything across though did change gravel which is very chalky even though rinsed till it was clear! Could this be adding to the issue? I have done a 50% water change today. Do I need to do this for the next week and should I do it everyday? Thankful for your advice much appreciated

Not sure of my ammonia level though I'm assuming its more than it should be will get a test kit tomorrow!! My tank has been up and running for about 5wks though had fish in a smaller tank and transferred everything across though did change gravel which is very chalky even though rinsed till it was clear! Could this be adding to the issue? I have done a 50% water change today. Do I need to do this for the next week and should I do it everyday? Thankful for your advice much appreciated

The gravel change wont hurt much but, I dont feel your tank was cycled. Test kit asap definitely. We need to know ammonia levels. The 50% pwc today is okay but not tomorrow unless you do get the test kit

So been out this morning and bought an ammonia test kit these are my results for all 4 tests

Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0.50
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
Any advice much appreciated.

Hello tapp...

The pH is fine. Aquarium fish will be fine in water with a pH between 6.5 and 8. The ammonia is a concern. The reading for this form of nitrogen should be "0". A 50 percent water change should help. Nitrates are at the end of the nitrogen cycle, so at lower levels they aren't toxic to your fish. A reading under 30 to 40 ppm is fine. Large, frequent water changes will guarantee a stable water chemistry.

B

Thank you so much for your advice. I will do a 50% water change today and post my results later!!

Back
Top Bottom