WATER SOFTENER PILLOW & Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rstampa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a planted 65 gal tank with several species of small fish.
My PH is 7.8 and my GH is 150ppm and KH is 80ppm. My question is. Should I use a Water Softener Pillow by API? The label indicates that it will remove calcium and iron. I use API Iron formula to feed my plants. Is this a contradiction on the iron or is that a different kind of iron.
I do 20% using aged water and change weekly. I live in Tampa, Fl. where the GH is medium hard.
Please advise:confused:

I have a planted 65 gal tank with several species of small fish.
My PH is 7.8 and my GH is 150ppm and KH is 80ppm. My question is. Should I use a Water Softener Pillow by API? The label indicates that it will remove calcium and iron. I use API Iron formula to feed my plants. Is this a contradiction on the iron or is that a different kind of iron.
I do 20% using aged water and change weekly. I live in Tampa, Fl. where the GH is medium hard.
Please advise:confused:

No need to add it :) fish and plants will do fine without it. As you said this will remove nutrients that your plants need (iron and calcium)

Is there a reason you were planning to add this? Are your plants or fish struggling?

No need to add it :) fish and plants will do fine without it. As you said this will remove nutrients that your plants need (iron and calcium)

Is there a reason you were planning to add this? Are your plants or fish struggling?
Thanks for your advise. Everywhere I read, said I need to lower my GH and KH. That my water need to be softer. But since everything is doing well I'll take you advise and stop fussing. I don't like putting chemicals in my tank anyway. Except approved fertilizer as needed.

Back
Top Bottom