water softners.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punch

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I live in an area with really hard water and was thinking of getting a water softner system for the house. I heard that this water is a actually bad for the fish and you're better of with hard water. Is this also true of the non-salt conditioning water systems?

I too just got myself an RO filter (reverse osmosis) because I want to try my hand at breeding discus ... my understanding is that you use 75% soft water to 25% tap water because the tap water put some of the calcium and nutrients back in the water that the filters strip away... the Aquarium I bought it from said that basically if you use 100% softened water the fish basically develop what for us would be Osteoperosis. So weakness in the bones ... if that's not correct im sure somebody will say something but that's just what ive learned. :)

Well an RO system is diffrent then a softnig system, and I erd the same as you for an RO. But not a salt based or non salt conditioning system.

Back
Top Bottom