water temp in wood frame house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cliff0114

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey AA,
I live in a wood frame house, in texas. We are having 100 degree days. I leave a window unit on during the day. but still the temp. in the tank gets to 80-82 degrees. then drops to 78- 79 at night.
should I just keep temp at 79-80 degrees to keep the luxuating temp down to a min.? Is that to hot for 55 gallon, heavily planted, assorted fish all liking the 72-82 temp. range? Bala shark, tiger barbs, lemon drop (yellow lab), gourami. Or is that much of temp change ok.

You could put some fans over it to cool the water down when it gets super hot... not sure exactly how that works but maybe someone else could chime in on that.

I don't think the temp change is too bad as long as it is gradual, but as far as going back and forth everyday it might affect your plants. Hope this helps any.

Moving this to the FW general discussion forum. That will be a better place for it.

I freeze declor water in ice cube trays, when the tank gets too hot, I throw in a few. I also throw in frozen bloodworms for my entertainment. For some reason my fish cant tell the difference between an ice cube and bloodworms.

I freeze declor water in ice cube trays, when the tank gets too hot, I throw in a few. I also throw in frozen bloodworms for my entertainment. For some reason my fish cant tell the difference between an ice cube and bloodworms.

that's a good idea, the ice cube thing. Lol on the entertainment thing

You could put some fans over it to cool the water down when it gets super hot... not sure exactly how that works but maybe someone else could chime in on that.
evaporation cools the tank.

i might be more worried with the bala shark in the 55 then the heat....

We all know Bala sharks get big. It puzzles me, that everyone wants to comment on bala sharks in a 55. When pleco's get to be 24'' but noone comments on them being in a 30 gallon. Things that make you go hmmm.

We all know Bala sharks get big. It puzzles me, that everyone wants to comment on bala sharks in a 55. When pleco's get to be 24'' but noone comments on them being in a 30 gallon. Things that make you go hmmm.

Is it cause sharks like to swim more? Regardless, big fish in not so big tanks aren't a good thing. I am in no way commenting on your fish, I don't even know what you have.

Anyway, like others said, you can put some fans pushing air across the top of the water. If you wanted, you could buy a fan controller made for a computer. They're probably 30-40 bucks. Then you could buy some fans at 3 bucks a piece. The fan controller would probably have a thermometer included with it, so you could somehow put it in the water without frying the controller itself, so when the water gets above a certain temp the fans kick on.

Hmm... I like my idea... *makes mental note for future idea*

Cool Beans, that worked. I left the window unit on low at 76 degrees. Turned a fan on, raised the glass lids and went to work. came home and tank was at 79-80. so I lowered the heater to 77-78, tomarrow I will see if I can keep my buddies at a comfy temp.
Thanks all for input.

not all plecos get to be 24 inch. though if i have missed commenting on a common pleco in a 30 gallon tank please point that out.

things that make me go hmmmm is when someone is talking about getting fish.... its pointed out why it wont work yet do so anyways....

not all plecos get to be 24 inch. though if i have missed commenting on a common pleco in a 30 gallon tank please point that out.

things that make me go hmmmm is when someone is talking about getting fish.... its pointed out why it wont work yet do so anyways....

hmmmm

i like the word educating..... in the end its your tank... its not like i am going to come over and take the thing out. just point out possible problems.... like a schooling fish that gets a foot long in a 55 gallon tank. while it might be directly to the question its still relevant. no wonder why its a now ex....

Uh, not that I want to get in the middle of this but... this is a peaceful community. Not everyone agrees on everything, there's no need to argue about it. So please, take a step back, take a deep breath, think before you write. I think the original question was answered successfully, so I think this thread is over.

Back
Top Bottom