water testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig_will2513

Aquarium Advice Freak
hi can anyone tell me what my water should be iv got a test kit but dont know what the levels should be. ph nitrite nitrate general hardness and so on. also how long dose it take to cycle the tank its 13 gallon.. how will i know when its complete

As far as the cycle you`ll see a rise in ammonia and then you`ll see it fall and then a rise in nitrites and then fall. Then nitrates will rise and they can be controlled by less feedings and PWC`s. During the cycle only worry about ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. We have an excellent article in our Sw articles on cycling.

craig_will2513 said:
Hi thanks. But what should all the levels be. Is there any sign apart from the rise and fall that will tell me if the cycle is complete

Everything should be at zero.. Nitrates no more than 5 ppm... Temp 76 or so

Diablito

What are you doing right now? Cycling? How long?

Really sounds like you need to do a lot more researching on your own. Need to know the cycling process. If that's what you're doing, you should have already read something to tell you what the water readings should be. Cruise thru our Articles section.

What stage of development is your tank in? And what kinda test kit are you using?

Can some one help. Iv recently started seeing brown fur like stuff growing on my rock. And in the last few days I have seen some kind of white hair like stuff also growing

You're still asking questions like, "what should my nitrite be?". Believe me, if you did more researching on your own, folks would be a lot more willing to help you. You're asking very basic questions that are easy to find the answer to. I'm not trying to dismiss your questions or be hard on you, but I'm wondering it you've got yourself into something with this tank and you aren't ready for it.

So what are you looking for. I gave you a link with all the info you asked about. I too am wondering what you are looking for.

as a basic guide,ammonia will rise,how much-depends on ammonia source
ammonia will lower to 0
nitrite will rise and then lower to 0
nitrate will rise,can be anything but if over 20 then do a water change with fresh saltwater to drop nitrates,your tank has cycled
please read articles already stated

Back
Top Bottom