water wisteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allaboutfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
i bought some water wisteria. will it live in low light? should i dose with excel since it needs higher light? how do i replant it?:thanks:

it's fine in lower light. you can leave it floating if it seems like it's not getting enough light. You can cut it anywhere and replant the trimmings. Even a little leaf will start growing little roots on it.

Dosing excel is not going to compensate for lack of lighting, they are separate components.

would it make it grow faster bc mine havent even grown many roots yet? also i have one that is growing side ways can i cut it so it's straight?

Being closer to the light will make it grow faster, but if its really low light it may not be much of a difference. It grows like mad under higher lighting with co2/ferts, I had to trim mine constantly when it kept it under higher conditions, but now that its in a low-medium setting I rarely have to trim it back at all, maybe once a month.

You can cut it wherever you want to, the cuttings will become their own plants, so to speak.

It wont grow very fast at all under that light. I have to toss out a gallon sized ziplock back full every week out of my 125, it grows so quick, the new plants just float up and cover the surface.

how long do you think until it reaches the surface? should i let it float? the problem with letting it float is that it'll probably get sucked into my filter.

I bought 2 stems of this about 4 weeks ago, I have 110w in a 360l tank & its gone crazy, planted in soil with sand over & has sent roots out all over plant, its doubled in size over 4 weeks. Its a beautiful plant for background & great for cleaning up nasties in water. I dont add any co2 to my tank & no fertiliser other than whats naturally in pond soil.

Back
Top Bottom