Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RazeNCain

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have a deep artesian well and for the last 24 years (I grew up in this house) we have never used any special water for any of the freshwater tanks and only used a PH balancer. We do not have any kind of water softener or anything else installed.

I used a nitrate and nitrite test and both came out at 0. PH Levels are a little low however. One tank sat for 4 days the other was freshly poured water.

What do you guys think? Safe to fill it up? I have not purchased anything yet, just the tank. Thought once I get everything this Friday (UPS) I could set it up, get it running and put some rock in there to start the cycle and just keep testing to see if anything spikes?

As mentioned test well water with a TDS ( total dissolved solids) tester. There are a lot of contaminates(other than nitrates) that can be found in well water than are harmful to saltwater tank inhabitants. A lot of things you can't easily test for at home such as metals.Only way to be sure is use a TDS meter.

Alright thanks. Like I said still learning the salt side. Only so much stuff you can read before overwhelming yourself.

Yeah. The research never ends in this hobby. Welcome to the salty side.

Hasn't left a bad taste in my mouth yet. Haven't gargeled yet either.

Back
Top Bottom