Waterchange obsessions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been doing weekly 10% waterchange for my 132g am I over doing this? Because the nitrate seems to be always at 10ppm and phosphate at 5ppm. I don't want to have any algae issues and have been using RO/DI water which I tested with 0 TDS.

I have some brown algae on the sand bed but the bicolor blenny and twin spot goby did the great job cleaning that up since I added them in last Saturday.

I am using 2 canister filter for the time being, is that the possible reason that nitrate and phosphate is there? I have a o clown, yellow tang, 10 chromis, a twin spots goby, a cleaner wrasse, a bicolor blenny. I have been doing feeding everyday since my yellow tang seems to have some black spot on him and I want him to eat A LOT to stay healthy to fight back the spot. It has now since gone but I want to maintain that way and keep him healthy and happy.

If I feed all the fish every other day is that good enough? That's what I would prefer to do but just to keep the YT happy I have got no choice. Do they need to be fed everyday? I always have a sheet of nori in there for him other than feeding him mysis shrimps, flakes, pellets etc. He especially like hormone free color enhancing pellets he gobbles them down like there is no tomorrow.

I might remove one canister filter and add a Tunze skimmer because I heard somewhere canister filter is a nitrate factory.

Anyone with any suggestion or comments you could share? Cheers.

As far as the PWC`s no you are doing OK. I`ve been doing them every week for nine yrs now.PWC`s are good for a couple things. They dilute excessive nutrients, buffer your water and replenish your trace elements. Many on this site do not add supplements to our tanks as PWC`s will take care of that already. Never think that PWC`s are not necessary as they are very important.
As far as feeding I would feed your fish every other day and leave a clip of nori or seaweed selects everyday so your tang can forage everyday. Your algea problem is from everyday feeding of flakes and frozen.
If you are going to get rid of canisters then do it one at a time. Maybe get rid of other one next month. Of course all this is IME and IMO. Good Luck.

Thanks Mel. I will get the skimmer broken in first and up and running. Then remove one canister filter next month. I think I will keep another one because my bioloads is going to be high I guess with my stockings. Also I can use it for medias should I need it in future. How's that sound?

Back
Top Bottom