We have EGGS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jantaris

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, yes, we have eggs. Problem, is not sure whose (well, it's not a problem. I'm just curious).
The eggs showed up suddenly on the long extended arm of our filter. A whole whack of them and right near the top of the aquarium. We have kribs, gourami, angels (one adult and one juvenile), and zebra danios. I know it's not gonna be kribs or gourami. Our big angel is guarding over them so we think they may be hers (I guess it's a her!), or does she them as a snack and doesn't want anyone else near them??? If they are the angel's, we're not sure the sex of the little angel or whether, if it is a he, he'd be able to fertilize them yet but I doubt it. We haven't seen any signs of bonding between these two angels at all. Our big angel has become quite aggressive due to this, going into the full on horizontal attack mode. My guess is, just from her change in behavior, they're hers... ???
An thoughts?

Sound like hers. If she was guarding a snack, they'd have been eaten by now. Another thought, they may not even be fertilized, just laid.

***off topic a bit sorry, I had a leopard gecko who was a female who'd lay eggs w/o a male. They were not viable.***

Yes, they are hers. We have a big beautiful girl! We still see some eggs coming out from her.
I would really doubt if they'll be fertilized this go. Not sure of the sex of the smaller guy and he's still quite small so chances are they'll become food. We'll see in a day or two. There's no sign he's been at them or allowed to get anywhere near them, again, if he's a he. But we know now our big one is indeed a girl! Kiddo knew. She said "Coral is her name because SHE is a SHE and I don't care if she's a he!" Kids always know...

Most female fish will lay eggs and guard them even when a male is not present to fertilize them.

Yes, thanks. I did some research on this last night and read that. Well, these aquariums have been quite the adventure so far, and also great teaching opportunities with kiddo. Learning every day...

Yes, thanks. I did some research on this last night and read that. Well, these aquariums have been quite the adventure so far, and also great teaching opportunities with kiddo. Learning every day...

Congratulations! Hope you get lots of cute little babies. Do you have any photos of the eggs?

The eggs turned white yesterday, so we knew they hadn't been fertilized. Not a sign of them today so she either ate them, or abandoned and let everyone else eat them. In the LB tank we have, we have a pregnant fish very close to dropping, so we go from one adventure to the next. Never a dull moment around here...

Back
Top Bottom