Weird dots on plant leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexTheGreat

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I bought a plant a while back when i started my tank and its been growing ne and healthy leaves for a while but i just notoced these weird dots on the leaves that seem to be making it unhealthy. Its on two of my plants and idk what to make of it. Here are some pictures 20170505_141334.jpg20170505_141347.jpg and the last one is a pic of the entire plant 20170505_141401.jpg

It is nutrient deficient and may not be getting enough light. Do you fertilize your tanks at all? I had issues with that exact same plant before I rebuilt my aquarium.

I used gravel but i use root tabs and API leaf zone but i was thinking of switching to flourish or excel since i see more of those around

It is tricky with plants. Looking at your tank, it may just be that those bottom leaves are not getting enough light. But if you increase light, you can create an algae farm. And then you need to add CO2 and PPS-Pro fertilizers. Nothing wrong with Excel though. I use that along with everything else needed for a high0tech tank.

What kind of light do you recommend and for the CO2 i just bought API CO2 booster for that. But the PPS is a substrate right?

Well everyone has their opinions on what light is best, but I have a Current Satellite Pro+ and love it. Expensive though. API CO2 booster is certainly better than nothing, but is not a CO2 replacement, just like Excel is not a CO2 replacement. If you go high light you will definitely want real CO2, so be careful before you start buying lights unless you have the money for a CO2 system.

PPS-Pro is a fertilizer combination. It is liquid, and dosed daily.

Here are some helpful threads if you go this route I created. Many questions answered you have:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/benefits-of-co2-355131.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/finnex-planted-24-7-vs-current-satellite-pro-355065.html

And the aquarium rebuild going from a low-tech aquarium I had just like yours, to a high-tech aquarium that I run today is in my signature. I went into great detail showing what I did right and what I did wrong. Updated as late as this week. I hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom