Weird Goldfish behaivor Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freakinfishgeek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I posted earlier about this but its gotten a bit worse. I added my new black moore "Smudge" after 3 weeks of QT to a 45 gallon tank. The new tank is home to my beloved Fantail "Fanny". I added him last night and they were acting cute like dogs getting to know eachother. Now Smudge is chasing her around with his mouth litterally at her behind constantly. She is acting a bit stressed and Sumdge is like an animal lol. Anyway this has been going on for 24 hours straight and its worrying me. I do not want anything to happen to Fanny or Smudge but this behaivor is very weird to me. Any thoughts?

I don't know for 100% what there sexes are. I assume Fanny is female and Smudge is male but its just a guess based on my sense of them. I do know that while Fanny is of breeding age Smudge is very young he is pretty small. They do seem to have mellowed out a bit now but most of the time Smudge has his nose right up Fanny's behind what do I do if they breed and how will I know?

Size is not necessarily indication of breeding age. Any goldfish that is 1+ year old may be ready. If Smudge has breeding stars, he is ready. <And sometimes breeding males don't necessarily have the stars, and even immature males might start to chase the females .... >

If they breed, you will find eggs in the tank. If you want to raise the frys, you have some prep work to do. More info:
Breeding Goldies - Kokos Goldfish Forum

Or you can just let nature take its course & see what happens in the tank. As long as the chasing is not too rough, you can let things be. If Fanny is getting battered, you might want to separate the two for a bit of cooling off.

Thanks! SO far they seem to be cooling it a little. No one has any signs of domestic abuse :) They just take turns chasing eachother. I had hoped to add one more goldie to the tank but I am thinking that I should wait untill everything is hunky dory between these two. Any ideas where I can get an idea of what stars look like on a black moore?

Back
Top Bottom