weird looking worm coming out of rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erawtik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well awhile back i converted my sw to fw and cleaned all my rock to put in the fw tank. Just today i look and i see this worm about 2 inches long coming out of one hole and going into another. Which apears to be dead he is white with bands of red kinda like a snake and about half the size of a straw. And he is smooth no legs or anything what could it be?

i tried to get a pic and cam wouldnt get it clear enough and no bristles and yes in a fw tank of Africans

I have no idea what it is but I'm moving this to the fw area. Hopefully you'll get more answers there.

Sounds like a grub worm, but I have never heard of them surviving under water. In fact they usually leave the dirt when it rains.

Most worms in a tank turn out to be planaria or some type of fluke worm. Since it's not on the fish I'd say planaria although "red bands" and snake like" makes me uncertain. Heres a link that might help.

http://naturalaquariums.com/inverts/worms.html

Since the tank use to be a saltwater tank it could very well be some SW bristle worm or something that took awhile to die after the conversion. Is it dead or alive?

Generally with planaria worms there will be more than one, they are white, and tend to be present when a tank is overfed.

What kind of rock is in your freshwater? You're not using live rock from the old saltwater tank are you?

I believe live rock is tyically coral skeletons meaning your PH will go through the roof. Being that its a cichlid tank, that shouldn't be a problem, however I would be very uncomfortable attempting that transition.

Back
Top Bottom