Well, I succumbed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fanaticbooks

Aquarium Advice Regular
For those who have been following my ongoing saga...

I have a 28 gal. hex in which I managed to kill my 3 guppies
I had to do a fishless cycling.
After doing that I stocked:

9/2--4 corey julii; 10 harlequin raspboro; 5 nerite snails
9/6--4 corey julii; 10 neon tetra

I asked advice in here and debated and fought with myself and kept a close test on my tank...

and then? and then? :brows:

I succumbed.

9/9--I bought 6 guppies.

What is nice? It doesn't look as if it has overfilled the aquarium. All the fish are getting along. They swarm together and also disappear to hide in the various fake plants.

My water tests 0 for ammonia and nitrite. Nitrates are not out of control. Ph hovering in the 7.0 range.

I have been doing a lot of water changes just to play, but the water has not been over 40 (that was the first water change). Now it is at about 10 which is where I was headed. I did multiple water changes over multiple days to do a gentle change in order to not stress my fish.

I will be watching it very closely now to see how fast nitrates build up but think it will be very gradual rather than overwhelming. There was no change in 24 hours after I had added the guppies, so think I will be okay.

Pictures below including one of my cat watching. They are hilarious. This black cat (PuddyTat) races around the tank so fast, he has fallen off twice. He is still trying to catch the catfish.

My orange cat, Tweety, sleeps beside it, watching as if it is tv.

An added bonus.

Attachments

• DSCN2008.jpg
    DSCN2008.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN2013.jpg
    DSCN2013.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN2016.jpg
    DSCN2016.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN2014.jpg
    DSCN2014.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 51
i love Hex tanks !

they have a smaller footprint, but if you stock them correctly, they have lots of potential to look just as good.

I am pleased with what I have in here. Thanks to all those in this website who helped me figure out what would work.

The corys like to surf the current that runs from the back to the front, down and back to the pump. They climb it and slide down and chase each other through the cave and other statuary.

Then the schools of neons and rasp. go wandering through usually in a group like kids in a park.

The guppies are wandering all over, through the cave and out, up and down all over.

A lot of movement with none of them attacking others.

The snails are climbing the tank even above the water line.

I am enjoying it tremendously.

Back
Top Bottom