Well water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Islandguy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi to everyone!
This is my first post and must say lots of info here...had a fw 125 many years ago and have been reading about sw/reef. My tapwater comes from a community well. Before I even think about "diving" into reef tanks :) what is the best way to test my well water to see what I have to start with? I know RO is a must... I get a white mineral buildup on my faucet after 6 months or so.
What a great forum...!!

Jim

Jim,

First Welcome to AA!

You can send your water off to be tested or get some kits and test it yourself. I would suggest an RO with DI unit. If you are getting deposits from your tap then chances are you will be replacing your filters a couple times a year. Where I am I can generally get a year out of my filters. When you purchase your RO/DI unit make sure to get one that has standard sized pre-filters so you can pick them up locally at Home Depot or Lowes.

Thanks for the quick reply!
When we are testing our water...what are the "key" items we want to verify? I am assuming nitrates, ph, hardness, ammonia??
Thanks,
Jim

Those are good places to start. With out sending your water off to be tested professionally I'm not sure how much more you can really test for. If you have a pool place near you, they may be willing to test your water for a small fee. If not you may need to do a search online for a place that can test your water and tell you everything that is in it.

NitrAtes, Phosphates, Hardness those are things I would look at. You can also get a TDS meter (total dissolved solids) and see what's going on with your water as well. Do a google search for TDS meter. They are not very expensive and a good thing to have anyway.

I agree with getting it tested. Alot of folks assume wells are better than tap but not neccesarily true. I agree with the RO/DI unit if not good enough.

Thanks for the information! I sent an email to our water manager to see if he can provide me with some information on the makeup of our water. I know he test for bacteria every month...I am the treasurer of our homeowner's association so I see the bills...
So....I live a block away from the Puget Sound...is it possible to use water from the beach?? Or any of the rocks?
Thanks,
Jim

Beaches are a natural filter and contain many contaminates. For long term success you need total control from water source to stocking. Every control point you lose means future trouble.

A salt water aquarium or reef tank in a special thing and the ability to have one that not only lives but thrives in your living room is incredible. It takes care and special attention. Starting with the water source.

Thanks for the quick reply..I will put away my buckets :p
OK so I need a RO/DI unit. I looked online and like most things there are many brands...any recommendations?
Jim

You could start with just the RO unit and ungrade ASAP. Cant reccomend any but nothing fancy. Just maintane per factory specs and you should be fine.

I would suggest starting out with an RO with DI. Don't upgrade later.

This is the RO/DI unit I have and have had for nearly 3 years. I buy my replacement filters from the same person. I am very happy with this unit. There are a lot of them on the market but that is what I use.

HTH

A lot of folks here to their RODI unit on eBay. I got a Typhoon III several years ago from AirwaterIce. They reccomend a 10 micron sediment cartridge followed by a 5 micron charcoal, then a 1 micron charcoal. This leads to the RO membrane which is then followed by the DI carridge. I now use the DI Refillable kit. I can always get a new sediment cartridge at Lowes or HD if I run out, but the cost from AWI is less.

When I replace my membrane I will get the new 150gpd that they have which also has a 98% rejection rate. The 100gpd only has a 90% rejection rate and is not recommended for reef (leaves too much for the DI to handle).

I also prefer the clear cartridges so I can see how dirty the sediment filter is getting.

I have one like Allen and cmor have and I also would recommend an RO/DI unit. They are well worth the investment. I also second not getting the water off the beach. Usually too contaminated. BTW welcome to AA

Back
Top Bottom