Wether loaches in pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi

I have 4 weather loaches in my pond and i was starting to get worried as it is winter and I know they are cold water fish but I don't know what there minimum temperature range is. Two are about 20cm and the other two are about 5 inches. Will they be ok in the pond. I haven't seen them in ages. Well they have never really showed themselves. The water is about 9c but only because it has been strangely milder this year but the temperature will continue to fall and go below 0c later in the month. Are they truly cold water fish and cope with the winter temperature or should I try to find them and put them in my community tank?

They are probably hibernating (or the equivalent of such) at this point. If you choose to do this, I would allow the water in the container they are in to slowly warm up over the period of a few days.
I live in the US with similar weather. There are weather loaches that have taken residence in local, stagnant ponds near where I work. They are actually an invasive species in North America, Eastern Europe, and Australia due to their adaptability.
IMO I would leave them out there.

Back
Top Bottom