What Are Some of Your "Doh" Moments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plumwd

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today I received some media from an established tank and wanted to put it in my canister filter. I have the Marineland C530.

I've never had a canister before so am not super familiar with the maintenance process. Anyway I unplugged it, opened it up and water started gushing everywhere! I freaked and then realized I forgot to close the check valve!

Ok.. More than an "doh" moment.. I dropped my light set in my 55g and electrocuted three of my Denison barb.. I cried :-(

Today I received some media from an established tank and wanted to put it in my canister filter. I have the Marineland C530.

I've never had a canister before so am not super familiar with the maintenance process. Anyway I unplugged it, opened it up and water started gushing everywhere! I freaked and then realized I forgot to close the check valve!

Got that to do next weekend! Last time I tried I couldn't get the valve to turn off properly - hoping this time works..

Too many to count, I'm such a noon :) The latest, I left the heater on during last weekend water change-PoP

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last one was walking away from my fancy new water change contraption only to have it slip from it's mount and dump a gallon of water on the table and floor.. Luckily I use prime so it temporarily detoxified the screaming from my gf;)

As I was setting up my new tank I turned on the heater before it was fully covered in water. Oops! Brand new heater holder totally melted.

Set up my first tank (like 3 days ago btw) installed the bubble wand and hose, but forgot to grab a pump and backflow valve while I was at the pet store, so it was syphoning water through the hose from the wand. I had it draped back into the tank so it wouldn't get anything wet. I get home from my work shift and hear the pump making a strange noise, I go over to listen closer and then I start hearing a dripping sound. I look into the tank and it looks fine (no fish yet) except for some reason my plants weren't standing up anymore. The tank was EMPTY, the hose fell out overnight and drained it all out. 20 gallons on the carpet!!! At least it's dry now :facepalm:

Pushed the aquarium against the wall. Accidentally and unknowingly cracked the filter. About ten gallons of water leaked slowly all over my upstairs for days. Ruined my carpet, and shelving system. About a grand in damage.

With my old 280 tank I forgot to turn off the hose that I used to fill the tank and left for work when I came home water was coming out of my front door. Let's just say I am still paying my mom back for the damage I did.

Earlier this year before I set up my.big tank I had a 20 gallon and a 10 gallon right next to each other. So I figured I'd just hook up one air pump and use a T connector. One into each tank. One night my girlfriend asked me why is there so much water in the goldfish tank? I thought she was imagining things and went to sleep.

The next morning my alarm goes off and I get out of bed and *squish*... The carpets wet. There was about 1 or 2 gallons left in the smaller tank. The air pump had been pumping water from one tank into the other one and the smelly goldfish water had gotten all over my room

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My boyfriend (brybry on this forum, if you ever want to make fun of him) dropped the light into the tank while he was holding it over the top for me to see what I was doing moving stuff around. Luckily, no human or fish was hurt. Come to think of it, though, just before that happened, he was siphoning over gravel, and I was supposed to be holding the hose in the bucket, only I was holding it just outside the bucket letting it pour into the carpet as I was reading on my phone about some fish. Lol. I don't know if this counts too, but I taught all my fish except the bottom feeders to finger feed, so now everytime I put my hand\arm in the tank they all start nipping at me, and it startles me and makes me jump\squeal everytime. I forget that I taught them to relate my hand to food! Duh! Silly Envee and brybry!

I tried to melt brine shrimp in the microwave one time cos it was frozen badly in a glass cup leftover in the freezer. Needless to say the glass shaddered my mic was nasty and the kitchen smelled for a bit. Lol

I can't let my bf touch the brine shrimp. Everytime he does, he leaves it out to melt all over the countertops. Gross.

Trying to pick out all of the snails that invaded my tank, it's hell. Just get an assassin snail, it will save you the d'oh...

Left a brand new pack of mysis in the 90° sun. it smells bad in the car still. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom