What are the popping noises of mantis shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have several mantis shrimp that I can hear making popping noises (I've also seen them). I have lots of crabs and was wondering if the popping noises are a mantis smashing the shell of a crab or if it could be other things. The crabs are eating my coraline so I'm hoping those noises are my little exterminators taking care of my crab problem.

The poping is usually him smashing something (snails, etc). If you have seen a mantis, I would set the trap and try to get him.
My mantis was a silent one, the only reason I knew he was there, were the crab shells he left behind and the fact that I did happen to see him one night.
Good luck!! :wink:

Well for now, I want the mantis shrimps to exterminate all the crabs. They are my friends right now. I have at least 3 mantis shrimps. Once the crabs are eradicated, I'll set the mantis trap. I'm just hoping that crabs are the preferred meal, as opposed to snails.

Ok, different approach, but..
One thing to remember, Mantis are pretty smart. Much harder to catch than crabs. IMO, I would target them ASAP. Can do a lot of damage to your other stock in the meantime.
Don't get me wrong, I really like my mantis. I plan on keeping him in the 10gal that I have now. Just don't want him with my other stock.

I've got an Ultralife Mantis trap on the way. Should be here any day. I'll start trying to trap them as soon as I get it. Thanks for the advice!

Cool, its an interesting battle. IMO, one of the many fascinating things about having such a diverse ecosystem in our homes. :)
Just don't hurt them. There are plenty of people out there that will glaldly take them. Even you LFS may take them in. :D

I'll do my best to keep them alive. Maybe I can find someone to trade some frags for them or something. I wish I could setup a small tank for them but I don't want to go down that road of MTS. :D

Now that my mantis is living in his 2.5 gallon private tank...I'be been able to watch him make his snapping noises. I've seen him whack rocks and use his club to break the LR to dig holes in it.

...so I wouldn't assume that every "pop" you hear is an attack on something.

If you wanna catch your crabs there is an easy way to do this if you don't mind taking out the rock they happen to be on. I thought catching the crabs would be a difficult task, but I find that 99% of the time they will latch down on the rock they are on, refusing to let go. If you do it fast enough, they don't even attempt to jump off. I have caught many crabs this way. I have corals attached to atleast half the rock I have, so I waited for them to be on a piece they wouldn't disturb the rest of the tank. Took me no time.

intereseting method clowninround.

Every time i get close to whatever rock they are on they automaticlly shoot into a hole.

Back
Top Bottom