What are these green spots on my plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yelle0277

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Lately I've noticed green spots on my broad leaf plants I'm thinking it must be some shot of algae but it doesn't come off if I wipe it. I've also been getting hair algae on my plants too, could this be causing the green spots?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110329_180306.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110329_180306.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 111
probably BBA... looks like my BBA infested plants, only not as bad as mine! Are you dosing ferts and/or injecting co2? What kind of lighting?

I am dosing with ferts, I have Phertz Root Tabs in the substrate, and I dose every few days with Flourish and Flourish Excel. I don't inject CO2 very often anymore (I was dosing with CO2 until about a month ago when I had a mishap with my homemade CO2 and ended up losing a few fish) so I am a bit gunshy with the CO2... which is why I switch to Flourish Excel. I also had an ick outbreak shortly after my CO2 mishap and treated for 10 days with the blue ick medicine. (This all but killed my watersprite, so I trimmed it back in hopes that it can rejuvinate itself now that the treatment is done) I have also been changing about 25% of the water every other day just to keep everyone happy which all the fish seem to be now.

As far as lighting goes I have a T8 1000k bulb along with 3 Sprial CFL (23watt) 6500k bulbs.

What is BBA? I haven't heard of that before, any way to get rid of it??

BBA is Black Brush Algae. It's the bane of most planted tanks. Fluctuating carbon levels seem to encourage its growth. You can spot treat it by injecting hydrogen peroxide near the BBA with a syringe.

Thanks Rookie and BigJim! "You can spot treat it by injecting hydrogen peroxide near the BBA with a syringe." Will this harm the plants or the fish? How much and how often should I use the peroxide?

As a precaution, I usually chase my fish away from the infested plant before injecting the peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide dissociates into water and oxygen pretty quickly when injected into the tank. I typically start with 5-10mL in my 29g or 40B. I've done 20mL at a shot in my 40B with no issues. I treat once a week during my PWCs.

Back
Top Bottom