What can I expect: GH 19 KH 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactuspixie

Aquarium Advice Addict
40 g heavily planted, with cherry shrimp, bristlenose, a single bumblebee goby and a single dwarf loach (long story).

Ph is 7, ammo and trites 0, trates 10. Temp 27C (can't get it lower)

None of my other tanks have such high GH.
Should I remove the cuttlebone, add more bog wood, or do more water changes?
This is the only tank I do a single 25% pwc weekly on. Mainly because I don't want to suck any of them up, so I siphon into a white bucket first and inspect for babies etc. very time consuming.

It's running two filters- and eheim 2215 and a Sunsun 1500. Both with sponge filters on the intakes.

How bad is a GH OF 19?

Can anyone make sense of these parameter changes in just 3 days?

Ph has dropped from 7 to 6.6, ammo and nitrite still zero, but nitrate up from 10ppm to 40!!
GH down from 19 to 17, and KH up from 4 to 5.

I tested the water so soon after the previous test because my cherry shrimp and BN wigglers were all congregating near the surface. I did a small water change and they are all behaving normally again. I can't do a big pwc until tomorrow in the daylight, for fear of throwing out baby shrimp.

Nothing has been changed in the past three days, so I don't understand those changes.

Can anyone make sense of these parameter changes in just 3 days?

Ph has dropped from 7 to 6.6, ammo and nitrite still zero, but nitrate up from 10ppm to 40!!
GH down from 19 to 17, and KH up from 4 to 5.

I tested the water so soon after the previous test because my cherry shrimp and BN wigglers were all congregating near the surface. I did a small water change and they are all behaving normally again. I can't do a big pwc until tomorrow in the daylight, for fear of throwing out baby shrimp.

Nothing has been changed in the past three days, so I don't understand those changes.

I must say it seems all over, especially as you have other tanks. :)

What is your tap gh, kh and ph? I think from memory there was no nitrates in it?

Are any plants in the tank exposed to air? Are they the same as other tanks?

Thanks for your reply :)
I've never tested my tap water. I always figured that since I don't change more than 50% of the tank water, and do it at least once a week, it wouldn't have a big impact on the ph etc of the tanks.
None of the plants are exposed to air. They are crypts, Anubias, Java fern, and Java moss.
All the tanks have had their pwc this evening, and I'm off to bed now. I'll test the tanks as well as the tap water after work tomorrow.

Thanks for your reply :)
I've never tested my tap water. I always figured that since I don't change more than 50% of the tank water, and do it at least once a week, it wouldn't have a big impact on the ph etc of the tanks.
None of the plants are exposed to air. They are crypts, Anubias, Java fern, and Java moss.
All the tanks have had their pwc this evening, and I'm off to bed now. I'll test the tanks as well as the tap water after work tomorrow.

Yes, I think testing tap sounds great as it will give a base line. Also over here in Perth I've noticed kh changes between winter and summer.

I was thinking maybe the plants were making things odd but scratch that.

Back
Top Bottom