what caused your tank to smell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

H3F4D

Aquarium Advice Regular
still trying to find out as much as i can everything! didnt full water change today and rearanged the tank! still has sonewhat of a smell to it!
is this normal ? Thanks :)

Attachments

• image-134913001.jpg
    image-134913001.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 64
wow iphone errors ! I did do a full water change today and my tank still somewhat has a foul oder ! what are a few things that cause your tank to smell **

Filter sponges, cyano algae. River like smell.

Run carbon and/or remove algae and/or clean filter sponges. (Maybe included in "water change" but not always, includes gravel clean for accuracy)

Caked sponges (filter foam blocks) stink!

No mention of filter clean, it's just my suggestion based on available info.

ive noticed this morning its much better does smell half as bad, maybe it was a result of me stiring everything up when i moved the tank around & cleaned it

It could also be hydrogen sulphide (rotten eggs or double bad gas!)

This builds up in deeper substrate. If you catch a whiff of that you will know all about it! You will know because it releases as bubbles when gravel vacuuming.

I think it's caused by anaerobic conditions.

Whatever it is, I hope the fishes are still swimming.

More common in sand than gravel, gravel needs to be DEEP for this to occur.

It doesn't mean the tank is dirty either! Just a circulation issue.

awsome thanks so much this may be an issue where i did have quite a bit of gravel in it probably an accessive amount ! As for l it bubbling when i cleaned it theyre was no bubbling :) ill keep an close eye on it ! Thanks again

- Myles

Back
Top Bottom