What causes amazon sword leaves to look like this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. I'll start dosing Trace separately.

Thanks everyone!

Yup it is not your lights. I think it sounds like you have a good plan. You need to dose p separately too though if you are getting 0. You should be seeing 0.25-0.5 ppm ideally.

fort384 said:
Yup it is not your lights. I think it sounds like you have a good plan. You need to dose p separately too though if you are getting 0. You should be seeing 0.25-0.5 ppm ideally.

Ok, I'll do that as well and try to hit that P level. Thanks.

Ok, I've been monitoring my P level and keeping it around .25-.5ppm. Now I noticed that I have more BBA. This seems to happen every time I dose P.

Some new growth looks healthy and some are warped. Now some of the old leaves are getting transparent. I hope I get this figured out soon...

i'm having the same exact problem and confused on what to do. started dosing a mmn mix ferts couple days ago. before that i was using the seachem line. still think im lacking something.

What's the minimum PPM that I should keep my nitrogen level for plants? My nitrate level is 10ppm and it's been 3 days since the last time I did a PWC. Nitrogen fert will increase my nitrate levels, right? Does it have the same effect(toxic wise) to the fishes?

Last edited:
roydooms said:
What's the minimum PPM that I should keep my nitrogen level for plants? My nitrate level is 10ppm and it's been 3 days since the last time I did a PWC. Nitrogen fert will increase my nitrate levels, right? Does it have the same effect(toxic wise) to the fishes?

10-20 ppm should be fine. Yes, it has the same effect, but it is not very toxic at such low levels. A lot dose for 20+. I like to keep N as limited as possible without bottoming out.

fort384 said:
10-20 ppm should be fine. Yes, it has the same effect, but it is not very toxic at such low levels. A lot dose for 20+. I like to keep N as limited as possible without bottoming out.

The swords are now showing N deficiency. Leaves are getting reabsorbed from the tip down. I'm guessing N went below 10ppm after the PWC last Monday. I guess I'll have to keep it between 10-20ppm.

New leaves are looking better. No warping or discoloration. So that's good news. It's one thing after another. It's kind of hard to balance the ferts. :) thanks!

Yup, always a challenge! You will get it eventually, and the work and frustration will pay off.

you can safely keep some rather large N numbers if necessary, so I wouldn't worry about it too much, but it's always good to just balance it out to where you still have a readable level prior to your next dose.

jetajockey said:
you can safely keep some rather large N numbers if necessary, so I wouldn't worry about it too much, but it's always good to just balance it out to where you still have a readable level prior to your next dose.

I should keep the N below 20ppm though with discus. I'm beginning to realize why it is better to have them in a non planted tank. With all the huge PWCs, you'll bottom out on something. I'll stay with my dosing regime and huge PWCs but this time I'll start dosing N to keep it above 10ppm. It never goes up close to 20ppm between PWCs. So my main concern really is bottoming out. Thanks!

fort384 said:
Yup, always a challenge! You will get it eventually, and the work and frustration will pay off.

I hope I'll get it soon. Lol
How fast does plants absorb P? How often should I test to check the level?

I would test it every week at least until you have it figured out. How fast they uptake it depends on a lot of factors... light, type of plants, availability of other nutrients and CO2, etc.

fort384 said:
I would test it every week at least until you have it figured out. How fast they uptake it depends on a lot of factors... light, type of plants, availability of other nutrients and CO2, etc.

Ok. I will do that. It also depends as when plants get bigger and absorbs more nutrients than when they were smaller, right? I notice deficiencies when plants needs trimming.

Back
Top Bottom