What conditions do xenias like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

30_gallon_guy

Aquarium Advice Regular
im just wondering what types of conditions xenias like. i just started a neew tank six weeks ago my skimmer is running and i think my water is really clean almost overskimming. i have colt and leather, that seem to be ok for around 5 days. people have told me that xenias like dirty water, so i thought they arent for me.
WHAT CONDITIONS DO THEY LIKE?
thanks
0X

Mine been fine in all types...
I have some in 2 tanks...
ones clean and the other so so and both look the same...

Some xenia grows like a weed. OR more like hair algea. I've been told other tanks don't do well with it.

Mine is the weed type.

As long as I can keep my tang from nibbling. :evil:

xenia, like most coral seem to pulse faster under brighter light, 9 + dkh and like most corals will begin to retard and if left unchecked, die should po4 and/or nitrates become too high. In my personal experience, kicked off by 1 lousy BTA croaking in my tank, high po4 (Anything above .01 (some say .05) ppm) will cause all corals to start a slow descent ending in bleached out coral. Its freaky really, one day your wondering why the xenia isnt pulsing like it used to and the next month its starting to bleach and shrink faster than you can water change. While to some extent, xenia can be happy in higher nutrient areas (higher po4 and nitrate areas) consider that any coral in a closed system exposed to po4 levels running in the .05 or more range are fair game for bleaching or overall poor health. It took me a long time to pony up the $$ for a salifert po4 test kit, now I test once a week. (And run RowaPhos). All that aside, with proper parameters, you will find xenia is a weed and in my case (before that @#$% BTA) I was removing about 1 cup of xenia / month..Very cool problem to have ; )

GL!

Back
Top Bottom