What do use for the bottom of your pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReyvinWolf

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone here built their own pond? Do you know if I should put anything in as a base? Gravel, sand, nothing?

My first pond I put up last year was only about 40-50 gals. I put gravel in it. Now I am building a 1400gal pond (lucky koi) and wondering if I should still put gravel or something down as a base. Any plants will be in planters with substrate, plus there will be huge rocks and caverns for them to hide in away from predators ( if they get past my dogs). But a base?

Has anyone here built their own pond? Do you know if I should put anything in as a base? Gravel, sand, nothing?

My first pond I put up last year was only about 40-50 gals. I put gravel in it. Now I am building a 1400gal pond (lucky koi) and wondering if I should still put gravel or something down as a base. Any plants will be in planters with substrate, plus there will be huge rocks and caverns for them to hide in away from predators ( if they get past my dogs). But a base?
I wouldn't suggest gravel. You would need enormous amounts of it, and if you're willing to clean it, that's gonna be a real pain in the a**!

Was thinking river stones for gravel not " tank" gravel!! Should have clarified.

Back
Top Bottom