what dose it mean when the plants leafs turn transparent then start to decay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pokechoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a few tropical waterlily in my 29 gallon with my angelfish. The leafs have grow big but are kinda see through and I have only a few that have reached the top. The top leafs are usually just bad looking, deformed or get spots on them that turn a transparent brownish color then start to decay. Now it's happening to my larger leafs. (the hideous spots) A few of my other plants are doing it to.
I have substrate, a mix of red and black flourish. On top is a riverbed substrate gravel.
I fertilize with seachem flourish. But! Not very often in fears of over fertilizing and destroying my plants (that's what I have heard anyways) when I do fertilize my plans I only put about 3 drops in a 29 gallon because the guy told me it's very potent stuff.
PH 7.5
I know for a fact none of my fish are harming my plants.
Lighting is a led light. But I feel as though the lighting is inadequate. So I am going to be purchasing a new light very soon. A coralife 6,500k high output full spectrum light. I think that light would be more than enough.
Anything else I missed?
What's going on?

Oh btw I use c02 boost just as much, if not more than I fertilize. I do use the proper amount.

I grow them at my work place. Young waterlily grow underwater before the leafs are able to get to the top as the plant matures. I've never had a problem with them in a pond but for some reason the just are not doing to hot in the aquarium -_-

Ok so I have a few questions.
What are your levels?
Do you know what your phosphate level is?
How about GH (general hardness) and KH (carbonate hardness)
What is your photo period?
It sounds like you need have a nutrient deficiency. I have been dosing my tank with the flourish comp at around 1ml every morning 30 minutes before lights on. The only issue with the flourish is that it is lacking your macros, which is nitrogen, potassium and phosphate. The nitrogen isn't usually an issue in most aquaria because of the nitrates. But the other 2 can be an issue. I would start dosing the flourish comp at 1/2tsp twice a week. That works out to 2.5ml. I am not sure but I am guessing that they are also heavy root feeds and may need root tabs.
Some plants are very sensitive to the excel that you are dosing. There could be any number of reasons why this is happening and I am not familiar with the water lilies. So I am just throwing some stuff out there. Also a pic might help.

Ya know, I've never even thought about phosphate. I will get a test kit immediately. Same with the hardness of water. I suppose I will start upping the dosage of the fert. It just makes me nervous. I do not want to over do it. Can water hardness really effect a plant? Wouldn't you see a difference in the fish before the plant? Just curious.

I suggest getting some tiger lotus bulbs in the Nymphaea family as they grow quite well in aquariums. Also bulb plants need to have root tabs used with them. They will help by providing the proper nutrients needed but they need to be added regularly.

A kh and gh of 4 provides all the calcium and magnesium plants need. Plants need macro and micro ferts and most liquid ferts are mainly micro nutrients. In a planted tank you want a level of 10-20ppm nitrates and 1-3ppm of phosphates. You need to follow the directions on the Flourish bottle for dosing as I know 3 drops isn't near enough. If your going to continue to dose liquid ferts I suggest using API Leaf Zone weekly along with the Flouish as the Leaf Zone will provide iron and Potassium. Flourish is not that potent. It is very hard to overdose ferts and more damage comes from underdosing. Same with Excel or whatever liquid carbon your using. You should use at least 1ml liquid carbon for every 5 gallons of tank water daily.

Hmm maybe I should get zeh leafzone. Hey thank you very much for all your wonderful information! It really helped a lot!

Back
Top Bottom