What fish are compatible with an angelfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultimatedc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking to have an angelfish as the center fish in my 20 gallon tall tank as well as stocking around it.

I know they are quite nippy so anything with big flowing fish is a no no. My lfs has them in with neon tetras, not very exciting but fills a tank well

I want something entertaining. I can't find something as gorgeous as an angelfish for such a small aquarium. My showfish in my 30 gal are my blue gouramis, the three amigos.

What about something kuhli loach or a pitbull plec? Big personalities but small enough for your tank and should also steer clear of your angel?

I was hoping to have a lot of colorful fish, like neon tetras, an angelfish, and some others..

I'm not too sure then, maybe some cherry barbs? They are very bright and would look good with some blue tetras maybe?

Neons/Cardinals will be ok providing they are not small enough to fit into the mouth of your Angel.

Pete

I had 2 Angels some time ago in my 20g tank, general community fish as company. Platy's and danio's to occupy mid/upper level and cory's for bottom (+ the bristle-nose plec). I think they were quite old when I lost them, but the addition of a kribensis may have finished them off !
I didn't see any tank-bullying, but often wondered if the kribensis addition was the problem. I am about to get angel's for my latest 135L project, there won't be any kribensis this time, just in case.

A single angel needs a minimum 30 gallon tank. A pair, IMO, should be in nothing smaller than a 40 gallon breeder. Angels get quite large and would be very cramped in a 20g tank.

mfdrookie516 said:
A single angel needs a minimum 30 gallon tank. A pair, IMO, should be in nothing smaller than a 40 gallon breeder. Angels get quite large and would be very cramped in a 20g tank.

I agree here, the Angel will require a bigger tank.

Also in my experience, if you add a small Angel to the tank with cardinal, or rummynose or any tetra with small fins, the angel will be ok, and you have a much better chance for the community to work in the long time, in other words, the Angel will learn to live with the small fish.
But if you add a big Angel, then the chances get reduced, and the probability that the Angel will eat the small fish increases.

You can start with a small Angel but you need to think that in 3 months the Angel can get bigger and will require an upgrade of your tank.

I have just got angels and they seem to be doing well with 3 gourami, 3 barbs, 3 black widow tetra and 3 clown loach. Very lively tank. The angels follow me when I move past the tank and almost come Yo say hello! I have noticed today though that the angels come up every so often to the surface. I gave a great filter which bursts out gets of water which the clown loaches are simply loving so it can't be oxygen. I am going away fir a week so I have been testing a automatic feeder is this them waiting for food? Any suggestions?

If they grow anything like a Silver Dollar you'll need a large tank before you know it. I bought my Silver Dollars before xmas and had them in a 22gal, they were about an inch across, now they're getting towards 3/4 inches and the 55 gal is feeling just a little bit more cramped.

Back
Top Bottom