What fish can I get that will move around the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well, I am really not sure. I have had some recommendations, but a guy at a local pet store told me the ones I was considering were fin nippers. I don't remember all of the ones now, but some were barbs and some kind of tetra etc.

I would not mind some rasboras, would cardinal tetras be ok? What would you recommend? Keep in mind I want them peaceful. No tendency to be aggressive whatsoever. I am already ocd about the happiness of my fish lol.

Do you mean tiger barbs? They tend to be aggressive. But if you like the looks of tiger barbs, see if your fish store has access to black ruby barbs. They very similar to tiger barbs, only difference is they are black and red (once they really color up) but are super active and very peaceful. I just got some black ruby barbs last week, started out with 6 and I really really liked them, so I ordered 6 more this week and their school is now at 12. I got mine as juveniles, so when I first got my first 6 they looked like tiger barbs. But now they have colored up a lot and are getting more and more red. You can definitely tell the difference in my new ones and my old ones. But they are so playful and active, I don't think I've seen them slow down a bit! They really have been a great addition to my tank. They also seem to stick together more and school now there's 12 instead of just 6. If you can get them you won't regret them!

Also I read your comment on your cycle. It sounds like the bacteria in a bottle MAY have worked; hard to know for sure if it did or not. Also the fact you have live plants helps absorb ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Going by your readings I would say you are. Thing with fish in cycling is you only cycle to the bioload you had while cycling. It has to adjust as you add fish. Just whenever you add fish I would test for atleast a week and when you've got consistent readings of ammonia nitrite at 0 and only nitrates for atleast a week I say your in the clear to slowly add more fish. If your wanting to add a school that has a low bioload I would go ahead and add an entire school (5-6 to start with, and if things stay in the clear testing wise up the school number if you want). When it comes to fish with heavier bioloads (platies, mollies, plecos for example) I would only add 1-2 at a time.

How about some loaches? Maybe some khuli or dojo loaches. I have 2 golden dojo loaches, and they are, by far, my favorite fish. Peaceful and funny. Good bottom dwellers.
My platys are shy too, I have 2 females, and they come out to eat, but rarely leave thier "area" in the back corner. Maybe its a platy thing, my guppies are much less shy and very social fish. you could get a bunch of colorful guppies if you are looking for bright movement. I have 4 in my community tank, and they are always front and center.

Balloon mollies are also fun to watch and certainly not shy. Just make sure you get all females so they don't breed.

How about some loaches? Maybe some khuli or dojo loaches. I have 2 golden dojo loaches, and they are, by far, my favorite fish. Peaceful and funny. Good bottom dwellers.
My platys are shy too, I have 2 females, and they come out to eat, but rarely leave thier "area" in the back corner. Maybe its a platy thing, my guppies are much less shy and very social fish. you could get a bunch of colorful guppies if you are looking for bright movement. I have 4 in my community tank, and they are always front and center.

My female red wag does the same thing, I hardly ever see her.

Balloon mollies are also fun to watch and certainly not shy. Just make sure you get all females so they don't breed.

Your partially right about getting all females. If they were in a tank with males, they could've been pregnant. They can also store sperm and suddenly get pregnant.

Your partially right about getting all females. If they were in a tank with males, they could've been pregnant. They can also store sperm and suddenly get pregnant.

That's true, I have balloon mollies that have given birth a bunch. Not saying it always works, but some stores I've been to try to separate the fish by sex.

Back
Top Bottom