What fish can I get with my Oscars????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divemasterjim

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just started a new 65 gallon tank. Bought 3 Large Oscars, 2 Red and 1 Tiger. All of them are over 5 inch long, got em for $6.50 each, such a deal. My question is what other fish can I put in there that they wont eat? I will get fish as large as, or almost as large as them.

i would be very surprised if 3 adult oscars didn't try to kill each other. but, if they do seem to be getting along, you could go for a pleco - i have heard of quite a few acses where the oscars leave them alone. however, that will be 4 large, high-waste producing fish, so you'll want REALLY good filtration.

I kept a rhino pleco in with my oscar. Any large species should be fine. However, I kept only one oscar and one pleco in a tank of your size, and I still felt they were cramped when they became adults.
The minimum recommended size for just two oscars is 75g. For three, you'll probably need at least a 125g eventually. Keeping those 3 fish is going to be messy.

Get a bottom feeder such as a Striped Raphael or Featherfin catfish for cleanup as the Oscars are very messy. However 3 oscars in a 65 gallon tank is a big no no.

The next purchase you should make is a python. You've got a fairly large tank with fairly large waste producing fish that will grow. The way to keep these fish happy and healthy is with frequent partial water changes. Clean water is essential to staving off problems. Even if you over filter the tank, you will get a build up of nitrates and dissolved organic compounds which will eventually poison the oscars. A python will simplify changing water for you, and changing water is the only way to keep the toxins from building up.

You mentioned that you just started the tank. Has the tank been cycled? If not, changing water is must because the tank will have an ammonia, then a nitrite spike. Ammonia and nitrites are deadly to fish because burn the gills and the fish become starved for oxygen.

If your tank hasn't been cycled you should feed very little until the nitrogen cycle has been complete. More food equals more fish waste and more ammonia.

Im not new to fish tanks, I have a reef tank.
I was just wondering what fish would be compatible with the Oscars. Im thinking they will kill or eat everything I put in the tank. They are very happy in their new home and swim together around the tank. they show no aggression towards each other.

Gotchya Jim. Oscars will not bother most other fish their own size. You should avoid getting any fish with teeth (such as Jack Dempseys), as the oscars can't protect themselves against them.

Back
Top Bottom