What fish to breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian14

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are the easiest cichlids to breed in a community tank?

don't do convicts i know that they are the easiest to breed, but if you have extra tanks around go right ahead.
i bought a boy and a girl about a year ago and put them in my 75 gal cichlid tank. In 2 weeks they had laid eggs, but they go eaten maybe because it was there first try. I thought that I wouldn't have to worry about them breeding like crazy because the eggs would get eaten. Well that s what I thought and 2-3 weeks later I saw a baby and another and another pop up till I had about 15 of them.So I thought that I could just give them to my LFS, but no they get to many as is and don't sell that well because people don't like them as much because their colors are bland and they can become a pest. So today I have probably 20 in a 40 gal breeder. it gets to the point where I feed them maybe once a week. 20 doesn't seem like much but that is all that can survive because of the populations it is literally a tank with an inch of sand and a breeding pair in each corner. none of the babies survive because it is so over populated. The average size of the fish is about 4" in my tank so they aren't 1" little fish swimmin around, no they are big and they can get ****** but I think I may have stunted there growth.

anyways to get back to your question I think that Jewel cichlids are a more colorful and a more desirable fish that is fairly easy to breed.

:)

don't do convicts i know that they are the easiest to breed, but if you have extra tanks around go right ahead. i bought a boy and a girl about a year ago and put them in my 75 gal cichlid tank. In 2 weeks they had laid eggs, but they go eaten maybe because it was there first try. I thought that I wouldn't have to worry about them breeding like crazy because the eggs would get eaten. Well that s what I thought and 2-3 weeks later I saw a baby and another and another pop up till I had about 15 of them.So I thought that I could just give them to my LFS, but no they get to many as is and don't sell that well because people don't like them as much because their colors are bland and they can become a pest. So today I have probably 20 in a 40 gal breeder. it gets to the point where I feed them maybe once a week. 20 doesn't seem like much but that is all that can survive because of the populations it is literally a tank with an inch of sand and a breeding pair in each corner. none of the babies survive because it is so over populated. The average size of the fish is about 4" in my tank so they aren't 1" little fish swimmin around, no they are big and they can get ****** but I think I may have stunted there growth. anyways to get back to your question I think that Jewel cichlids are a more colorful and a more desirable fish that is fairly easy to breed. :)
. Are they lake Malawi cichlids? I'm getting electric yellow and demasoni. And still deciding on what other type to get . Are those two somewhat easy to breed?

I don't think that Jewel Cichlids are from lake Malawi, but they are native to Africa found in streams and small lakes.

Electric yellow cichlids are breed easily if given the right conditions. I have breed them before but it was on accident in my 75 gal.
demansoni cichlids are a little harder in my experience as I tried to breed them about 2 years ago but gave up after 6 months without a pair.

Back
Top Bottom