What fish to pair with a guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amorgan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

I had two male guppies in my tank up until recently, I have read that it’s ok to keep two males in a tank and they nip at each others tails occasionally but mostly get along. However since my first guppy died and I did more research I’ve also seen that they can be very aggressive towards each other. The tank I have is on the smaller side, could that be the reason for aggression? My main question is, should I buy another male guppy, let my one guppy be alone in the tank or should I look at other fish to pair with him? I have been looking at neon tretras since they can go in small tanks.

Tank size is important. I always kept all male guppies because I didn't want fry. They never attacked each other.

Hello Am...

I keep some Guppies in various tanks and have Tetras, Platys, Corydoras, Danios, Comets and Plecos in with them. As long as the fish isn't considerably larger than the Guppies and the tank is well planted, they should be fine with most peaceful fish.

B

You could put harlequinn rasboras in with the guppy.as long as your tank is 2.5 gallons or larger because you should have a school of atleast 3.

It’s about 4 or 5 but I’m thinking about upgrading to a larger one soon, probably about 15-20 gallons

You could put harlequinn rasboras in with the guppy.as long as your tank is 2.5 gallons or larger because you should have a school of atleast 3.

You should keep things like rasbora's(these are recommended to have even larger groups) and tetras in groups of at least 6. 2.5 gallons is honestly to small for anything other than 1 fish.

@ OP in a 4-5 gallon tank I would keep one fish accustomed to small living areas like a betta fish or even shrimp. No betta with the shrimp of course. Since you have the guppy already I would agree to just put another male guppy in there. 5 gallons is enough for 2 fish that small.

Last edited:
It’s about 4 or 5 but I’m thinking about upgrading to a larger one soon, probably about 15-20 gallons
I think you'd be happy with a 20g long. You will have the length appropriate for schooling fish in this tank.

I have kept 3 harleqiun rasboras in a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter and I did frequrnt water changes and they did okay. But after around 2 years they were moved to a 10 gallon.

I have kept 3 harleqiun rasboras in a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter and I did frequrnt water changes and they did okay. But after around 2 years they were moved to a 10 gallon.
Ya but why would someone choose to do that if they are educated on the right way to keep fish.

Back
Top Bottom