What is growing on my anubias nana roots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

light_angel_7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, today I noticed that my anubias nana is growing some white stuff on the end of its roots. I tried to remove it with my fingers but it's got a glue like feeling to it and won't come off. The best way I can describe it is that it looks like hairy little white cotton balls on the ends of the roots and white hairs going up the root.

82111-albums12897-picture62194.jpg

82111-albums12897-picture62195.jpg

It might be a mold or fungus but honestly shouldn't be that hard. I would either trim them off as it won't hurt the roots or if you want you can try taking the plant out of the water, lay paper towels in a sink, lay the anubia on them, then pour hydrogen peroxide 3% all over the plant. Wrap the peroxide wet paper towels around the anubia and roots and let sit for 20 minutes. Then put the plant back in the tank and see if the growth dies off. Were it me I'd just cut them off but you can choose which method you want to try.

I thought it was some kind of algae. I didn't even think that fungus or mold could be in an aquarium. Sorry if these sound like silly questions but...

1. What is the reason for mold or fungus to be growing in the aquarium in the first place?
I understand that algae grow due the excess light and/or excess food left in the aquarium. Does the mold or fungus appear with those same circumstances.

2. Will this affect the health of my plant, betta fish or african dwarf frogs?

3. I will probably use the hydrogen peroxide treatment first. After I had the paper towel on then for 20 minutes should I rinse them off or put them back in the aquarium. If I do just put it back in the aquarium, will it affect my betta, adfs or water parameters.

It's actually uncommon to see mold or fungus growing on roots like that if in fact that is what it is. Actually I'm not sure what it would cause it to grow. But I would get all the infected areas treated asap and if that doesn't kill it off in a few days I would trim it off the infected roots so it can't spread. Hydrogen Peroxide doesn't need to be rinsed off and is actually used in tank water to spot treat algae so it's perfectly safe for your fish/inverts/plants when used properly. Not to mention there will be very little if any left that hasn't oxidized by the time you put the plant back in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom