What is killing my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bestonia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a healthy aquaponics system set up with good parameters and a massive bio capacity and never had any sick fish before. As its an aquaponics system I don't need to change the water often as the plants clean the water for the fish.
ACtC-3dGiJY0quPaMxqCOcpyAaMOXD-jNirPBw8Q3Sa-elNku8sjgpxqv_6XdQRWaqUuAi830X8Em8PUZJJMnr5WWcrY6HbTKwpM4dLDAyv53bA6WiyG7aiBhYU70RhLwAQGmII-QAGcrdlTnOWUyGuU1hsQNw=w426-h568-no

Tank size: 120L tank with a 70L sump. Tank is mostly bare bottom with a solids lift out to remove solids.
Tank age: couple years, no recent changes except for new fish
NO3: 10
NO2: 0
GH: 6
KH: 6
PH: 6.8
Temp: 25 celsius (77 farenheit)
Filtration: massive sump with mechanical filter and 3500 dc pump
Water change: not necessary in aquaponics
Food: Dr Brassleer pellets

Recently I purchased some new fish and they have since been dying (I didn't quarantine them, stupid me). I got 7 rosy barbs (4 big and 3 smaller ones) and 1 male swordtail to add to the existing 3 swordtails and 2 Siamese algae eaters. I also have some shrimp in the sump.

The first rosy barb (1) had fin rot when I got him. After a week or so it was getting worse and I noticed another one (2) had a spot of fin rot as well and what seemed like white patches on it, so I quarantined them with another one (3) that seemed to be separated from the rest and always looking down (ie. all 3 small rosy barbs). I did daily water changes, a salt bath and medicated with ESHA 2000 for bacteria infection. They were there for about a month. The one with severe fin rot was breathing quite quickly and got constipated and eventually ended up dying. Number 2 ended up getting pop eye in one eye also. After another ESHA treatment and a couple weeks I re-introduced the other two back into the tank thinking they were better, but in the tank light I saw that they were white and had more red on them, so I took them out and euthanised them. :(
During quarantine the fish would always flash when changing water and would sit still most of the day.

During this time, in the main tank, one of the large rosy barb just died over night, and the male swordtail appears to have visible white gills and has just started breathing quickly. Additionally one of the Siamese algae eaters has a white mark on him, although as I was cleaning the tank the other day he got spooked and swam up the grave suction hose so it could be an injury from that.

Pics:

Fish 1 dead, can see some bloating and some red marks on under belly and anus
20210214_225309.jpg

Large rosy barb that died overnight with bloated belly. (a day or two before I had fed a new dried worm food, so its likely he could have swallowed too much air when eating)
ACtC-3f-k8oHDqL_a7fCPuNT0rNzinCtdz602uWSOoPnGs1gPts_4aTMZ9koFgMIF2eK_XEEZkl4ZXRzFImC0OchUBxQvEAxVlGHSYMLUm6g578oXfiofnzUsR19fJlop_mdPGFECsRrOstOCMl83sVIl4DDnA=w758-h568-no

Fish 2 and 3 after a freeze. Can see the red spot on the tail of fish 2 and a red stripe on fish 3
20210310_144616.jpg

White mark on Siamese algae eater's head (I think it could be an injury from when i spooked him)
ACtC-3dOlKtRwEVXdQ35wIbxfCTjOYDLfQ28J_4JCJnzJNQP8qAiUweBsEM2UnxkXC0Yr81lye2Aj30HawkSPu2hOUzinF50m2X9TOlbjYhgL6RrXOzlKn9jw3mgLLjo1aAtdFmPVJPJwRTE_lOeaQdmpEB3PQ=w758-h568-no

Swordtail with white gills.
20210315_201546 (1).jpg
Female swordtail also with white gill
ACtC-3dsVj2CMC6NsIT2bkA0EtbvjAxozQyv9VjbxmsN1wUZbubsbmap3mRQepXE53By9LDS8MIqnnWyYGYEc6kSrC8mViJieaF0ud8nAsZ4O6KryXAcwRfXL1hoUcmbjrl3RgIHMKhdMVkqoQTi0oF3M5o3Pg=w758-h568-no

video link of swordtail gills

Google gallery of sick fish for high quality images..

I’d add an airstone to help with oxygenation, at least while the gills are compromised. Then id do a large water change and take it from there.

thanks, I can do a water change just to be sure. There is constant aeration in the tank, grow bed and sump, so I think it is very well aerated. For now there are no major signs of sickness in the fish apart from the gills, although the male swordtail has stopped chasing the females about and occasionally the rosy barbs will do a shimmy

thanks, I can do a water change just to be sure. There is constant aeration in the tank, grow bed and sump, so I think it is very well aerated. For now there are no major signs of sickness in the fish apart from the gills, although the male swordtail has stopped chasing the females about and occasionally the rosy barbs will do a shimmy

Ah sorry, missed the sump. Do I water change and see if things improve.

Back
Top Bottom