What is live sand and live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trickshot3102

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I was just wondering what live rock and live sand is? Should I use it? I have a 10 gal freshwater tank.

:fish2:

They are for use in a saltwater tank only. You don't need either for freshwater and everything live in the rock and sand will die.

They have freshwater live sand. I used it to start up my tank cycle because I had no filter media. My fish are fine but it will cause a high ph

I think this might be a stupid question, but, what makes live? Does it have good bacteria or something like that? :fish2:

I was under the impression that live rock was just rock that already has beneficial bacteria on it and it's not strictly for use in marine aquariums. It's a prefered choice in marine aquariums because whilst resembling the tank inhabitants natural environment, it also contains so much surface area that it becomes the main source for nitrification and filters aren't strictly required in fish only with live rock setups.

The freshwater one I got helps you finish your fishless cycle faster. It comes with the beneficial bacteria you need to get the cycle started as your adding the ammonia and it comes with your decloronator and a chemical to help clear up the water since your not supposed to wash the sand with live sand

Oh I see :) I dont think I will be needing any, my cycle just ended :) Thank you for all the info! :thanks:

:fish2:
:fish1:

Live rock and live sand has all kinds of cool and a few terrible things in it. I've gotten every thing from free corals, crabs, snails and all of worms and feather dusters that help to clean ur reef and sand bed. Unfortunately I've also go apestia starfish and the cock roach of the ocean ( sorry to any of my fellow salties reading this that like them) the mantis shrimp.

Live rock and live sand has all kinds of cool and a few terrible things in it. I've gotten every thing from free corals, crabs, snails and all of worms and feather dusters that help to clean ur reef and sand bed. Unfortunately I've also go apestia starfish and the cock roach of the ocean ( sorry to any of my fellow salties reading this that like them) the mantis shrimp.

Haha comparing a mantis to a cockroach is a new one. Maybe give cockroaches insane eyesight and arms of death lol. I love mantis' but yes they can be demons. Like big red said it houses most of your beneficial bacteria but can come with a lot of hitchhikers. Some good, some bad. There's a lot worse out there than aiptasia and mantis shrimp. I think they make a live gravel for fw tanks.

Haha comparing a mantis to a cockroach is a new one. Maybe give cockroaches insane eyesight and arms of death lol. I love mantis' but yes they can be demons. Like big red said it houses most of your beneficial bacteria but can come with a lot of hitchhikers. Some good, some bad. There's a lot worse out there than aiptasia and mantis shrimp. I think they make a live gravel for fw tanks.

Do u keep a mantis tank? Is it coral safe? My buddy has one in his new nano he's cycling right now and I was thinkin of putting it in my pico 5 gal

Do u keep a mantis tank? Is it coral safe? My buddy has one in his new nano he's cycling right now and I was thinkin of putting it in my pico 5 gal

No I don't lol. Definitely on my want list though! They are an awesome critter. It would have to be a smaller species for a 5 gallon but definitely doable. We should stay on topic though before the mods delete out posts :/ lol

Back
Top Bottom