What is so bad in this water ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

auliv

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Folks !

I have a 30G tank working fine for several months with a variety of community fish living happily.

I started a 10G tank after seeing eggs in my 30G in order to have a safe breeding place. I used the same substrate than the 30G (a layer of planted substrate, with an extra layer of regular substrate, both designed for freshwater), and put in a couple of plants.

I filled it up with 5G of mountain water (the big ones from costco) and the rest is regular tap water. I put in the right amount of conditionner. Waited for a bit. Then I dropped a bit of "quick start" in there. Waited for a few days until it was time to change the 30G filter, and i dropped it inside the 10G. I also put in some fish waste in the 10G to initiate the cycle. (using one of those big seringe).

So far it has been 2 weeks, and the levels of amonia, NO2, NO3 are all near nothing. It "feels as if" a cycle has already been through...

I started introducing some goldfish in there... and OMG... a few seconds after they are in, they start running like crazy... bumping into the glass or the plants... like they are breathing something terrible... so I have to put them into the 30G...

I did this 3 days in a row with different goldfish, smaller and bigger... and each time they look at me like "get me out of here!!!" while gulping heavily!!

Since all levels of everything look ok, I am really at a loss on what this tank might have that's so terrible for them.... I use the same water as the one for the original tank, same substrate, same plants, even the water filter is the same that used to be on the other tank...

Any troubleshooting tips would be very welcome !!

Thank you all !!!

What type of conditioner are you using for the water? Are you using enough? If your water has Chloramines you need to make sure you have a conditioner which will take care of them, and it usually requires a larger dose of water conditioner to treat that.

Are you using test strips or a liquid test kit? Test strips often are not accurate. Even in the same opened container, they can go bad.

The most accurate way to know would be to get/use a liquid test kit like API and test for Ammonia, NitrIte, NitAate, pH, GH/KH - general hardness and carbonate hardness would be nice to know too.

Adding just a little of this and that from the main tank will not cycle it. It might seed the surfaces - it takes weeks for the BB to grow to sufficient numbers to handle a fish with waste and feedings. If you compare the two tank parameters - and follow all directions for liquid tests accurately, you will likely find out the answer to your question.

Are you temperature and water acclimating the fish to each tanks water?

This situation leads to another question about the goldfish. If you are adding 2, 3 or 4 GF to a tank - a 30G, and especially a 10G then you are likely to cause water quality issues in the near future.

Hello Autumnsky,

Thanks a lot for your response.

I'm using Aqueon Water Conditionner, and followed the instructions: 10mL for 10Gallons. Can it hurt if you put more than it actually recommends? I used to use the liquid test Kit every time, but it was so tedious I ended up using the test strip and only when i need to have a really accurate value I use the liquid test. I will do the measurements with the liquid though, and get back to you.

Thanks again !

Just check the Aqueon water condtioner to make sure it binds/"conditions" for chloramines and heavy metals.

A simple tool for using the right amount of water conditioner is a liquid medicine syringe - given free often at pharmacies for administering liquid medicine or you can buy one cheaply enough. I have just use a fat rubberband and attatched it to the bottle for keeping them at the same place and not lost in the drawer. Also useful is a snap spout like you can get off of a travel toiletry accessories set. (like to put your shampoo in for travel) Fir my Prime water conditioner bottles well.

But I doubt a little too much is a problem.

Just a couple of days ago I was reading some scientific information, (much of it past my understanding with just the first reading, lol) but the point being that the water conditioners use substances which bind minerals to make them unharmful to the fish.

When that is done, especially in conditions with infrequent water changes where over time plants or fish use the trace minerals in the water, it can use up the rest of them and leave the fish with poor osmogregulation because they do not have the substances in the water which would be normally in there with frequent refreshing pwc. Previously, I did not realize the effect and how it could have such a negative impact on the fish.

Not necessarily what is your situation - just additional possibly useful info for the future.

If ammonia nitrites and NITRATES are all at nothing then there has been no cycle. My guess is that the syringe didnt work... I read fish food is best for nonfish cycling. Also when you put fish in the tank. How did you acclimatize them. .. Could be a sharp change in temperature... When first adding a fish into ammonia and nitrite free water they will not get poisoning straight away as theres nothing to poison them

Sent from my HUAWEI Y360-U31 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know when i added my albino cories they flew all over the place. I fed them and they started playing in bubble bar and been fine since... I wouldnt panic and leave them overnight to see how they react

Hello Folks!

Thanks for your responses, it's great to have such an active community!

* nirbhao: For aeration, the constant water flow is kept by the water filter which is sitting a little high, to create a "waterfall" effect. if putting anything in the tank such as food pellets, you can see the current.

* adams84: for fish acclimatation, i always put the bag in which they are with water from the original tank on top of the surface for 20 minutes. And then only open it after this amount of time. I might get a goldfish and leave him in there overnight to see.. but i'd hate to hurt one of these little fellas :(

Thanks again!

Hey sounds fine way to acclimatize... when you say 10 gallon is it a tall 10 gallon or a long one.

Tall one will need an airline as the bottom will become stagnant.

I know you say its for breeding but goldfish should be in a bigger tank than a 10 gallon really. ... The smaller size must be a bit of a shock

Hello Again,

It's the long one.

The goldfish are just doing a temporary stay to help with cycling, creating fish waste... and then back into the long 30 gallon... I'm afraid these guys would eat the small eggs as appetizer :)

Thanks again!

Ah ok well i would not bother putting the fish in for just cycling reasons... You will just stress the fish. .. Read up on fishless cycling.

Back
Top Bottom