What is this - growth on live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Strawman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found this guy today I don't have a clue where he came from besides hitchhiking on my live rock.

Attachments

• image-3216924044.jpg
    image-3216924044.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 137
  • image-1566707669.jpg
    image-1566707669.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 154
That is an aiptasia anemone which will spread, and they are pests. There are many ways to get rid of them, when I had them, I added a Peppermint Shrimp, and he got rid of all of them. :) keep in mind, Peppermints will only eat small ones though. Good luck! :)

It's safe to assume that if I have one, I have many. I can't find them anywhere else.

Does aiptasia ever wrap itself in a white tube?

There are a couple of methods to get rid of it but you maynever get completely rid of the things.

1. Peppermint Shrimp: these guys will take care of the smaller Aiptasia but this is what I found out. There are two types of Aiptasia..a pacific version and an atlantic version. THe PAcific version is the stuff that spreads rapidly; the atlantic version isn't as aggressive. I had the atlantic version and while I got rid o 3 of them, I still have one that hasn't spread in over 5 months. Peppermint shrimp from the pacific will not recognize atlantic version Aiptasia as a food source and vice versa. In other words, unless you can definitively identify the area and related peppermint shrimp, you have a 50/50 shot of the Peppermints actually eating the Aiptasia. I had that. I had Aiptasia and went gleefully down to my LFS thinking..I'll fix you. The shrimp ignored the Aiptasia. I know I have Atlantic rock and related Aiptasia but obviously the Peppermints were the west coast variety.

2. A couple of chemical methods but it takes some detective work and point and shoot action.

The first is using a mixture called Aiptasia-X which is usually available at your LFS. I have never used this so can't give instructions but I imagine it is basically the same method as the one I am going to describe next :)

Another method is using a mixture of concentrated Kalkwasser. Mix 1 tablespoon of Kalk with 2 tablespoons of water. Mix. Turn off any waterflow..you want the water column as still as possible. Using a syringe, suck up the mixture and then carefully coat the Aiptasia and the hole it is going to retreat into. When the kalk hits the water you are going to see a snow like precipitation. Be careful not to get the mixture on other corals nearby as concentrated Kalk will kill just about anything. If you do get the Kalk on something else, just use your finger to gently stir the water in the area to clean it off. Leave your pumps off for about 15 minutes and then you can turn them back on. What little Kalk goes back into the water when the pumps come back on won't hurt the general tank as it is kept moving and can't really settle.

You could also use a copperband to eat them or a filefish

What are the odds I have more aipstia(pardon spelling)? I can't seem to find anymore and I hunt everyday and can't ever find anymore!

Back
Top Bottom