What is this on my live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is Aptasia, a pest anemone that will reproduce quickly, and can sting fish and coral. You def want to remove it. If you can remove the rock, burn it with a lighter. If you can't remove the rock, there are many approaches. Inject with lemon juice, inject with boiling water, inject with product called Aptasia x. If not too large of an anemone, I've personally had luck with Peppermint shrimp, they will eat it. Sometimes shrimp work and sometimes they dont, think it has to do with where the shrimp are collected.
Whichever way you chose, you need to kill it!

They multiply pretty quick. I didn't have any luck with the lemon juice. I'd try the aptasia x IMO.

First thing I would try is a couple Peppermints. I only had a couple Aptasia, but they were gone in a day.

They probably could, being a Nem, but not usually.
Wow, that was quick! I commend your haste!
If you see more I'd try the shrimp, like 8 bucks at LFS, and good to have anyway, good scavenger.
Good luck!

Flreefer said:
They probably could, being a Nem, but not usually.
Wow, that was quick! I commend your haste!
If you see more I'd try the shrimp, like 8 bucks at LFS, and good to have anyway, good scavenger.
Good luck!

Cant put shrimp in now cos i just started the cycle on tank on monday. Sucks!

Right. Well, you may have gotten them. Keep them in check manually for now and if you still see them after the cycle, then add a couple. Saw mine About 2 years ago, added the shrimp... Gone since.
Best of luck in the future!

Parentally copperband butterfly are good to get rid of them? If so once the tank is cycled i will buy one of them as i like them anyway. I'm in UK and LFS around here are crap and dont know jack all! Looked on ebay to see if Aptasia x is available or not well its not!!!

Ouch!! I find them here in the grass flats in the bay! If shipping wasn't so much I'd offer to mail you a couple.
On another note, Copperbands are a notoriously hard fish to keep. This wouldn't be a good choice for Aptasia control. Tanks need to be established reefs, with a lot of live rock, and a lot of pods. I've had mine for 6 months, with 3 other fish in a 180g. It has ravaged my DT's pods. I have a refugium so I still have pods, but not nearly as many. This Copperband was eating frozen at the Lfs, but he still prefers live pods! This fish does best if pampered in a reef setting.

Being honest, the only ways that I have successfully removed aiptasia is with a lighter or with aiptasia-x. Boiled water/lemon juice just didn't cut it for me even though they were small.

You wont believe how the prices are in uk Lfs. Example: percula clowns like 20pound each, copperbands around 3inch like 40pound and regal tangs around 3-4 inch 40pound.
Well i guess copperband not gonna be a option as im doing FOWLR tank. My system is just shot of 200gallon.

Sniperhank said:
Being honest, the only ways that I have successfully removed aiptasia is with a lighter or with aiptasia-x. Boiled water/lemon juice just didn't cut it for me even though they were small.

What i did is places my siphoning pipe over it and dropped boiling water on it through the pipe. Lets see if i see them alive tomorrow. I hope NOT!

Back
Top Bottom