What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Martymarr98

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This sprouted up from my live rock. What is it and is it bad for my tank?

Attachments

• image-2347688461.jpg
    image-2347688461.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 126
It's aiptasia it's a bad hitch hiker the will multiply quick aiptasia x works and peppermint shrimp also like to eat them

It's aiptasia it's a bad hitch hiker the will multiply quick aiptasia x works and peppermint shrimp also like to eat them

+1... Also if you get too many you can also get a file fish... Be sure not to pull it off... If you do then it will spread like wild fire...

Also, I have one that sprouted in my refugium. Is there any benefit there?

Attachments

• image-2962087896.jpg
    image-2962087896.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 93
Also, I have one that sprouted in my refugium. Is there any benefit there?

Aiptasia sp. are considered pests in the marine aquarium hobby, because they are stressful to coral around them, and occasionally even sting fish and desirable invertebrates. They are often accidentally imported along with live rock. Once present in the aquarium, the polyps are notoriously difficult to remove as attempts to remove often inadvertently create more, due to new polyps regenerating from remnants. Hobbyists commonly put Peppermint shrimp inside the aquarium to control Aiptasia populations, as the arthropods regularly prey on small cnidarian polyps. The nudibranch Berghia verrucicornis is considered one of the best predators for Aiptasia sp.

Copied from wiki

Real quick and simple answer. It's bad, nothing good about them, zero benefits, you want them gone.
Some fish will eat them, but this is a poor solution. For one, the fish in question invariably get large or will eat other inverts. For another, they are messy eaters. They spread bits of aiptasia all over. You may not see any complete aiptasia while the fish is present, but once the fish is gone, the aiptasia will be back ten times worse than before.
If you only have one or two, the best bet is to just remove that one anemone either by removing the rock and burning the anemone off, or by using a syringe to inject with aiptasia x, Jo juice, lemon juice, or boiling water. If you have a few small ones, peppermint shrimp MAY eat them.
For severe infestations, berghia nudibranchs are the best solution.

Back
Top Bottom