What is this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was snorkeling on Mexico beach and I looked down and saw this guy swimming around me. I caught him and put him in my tank. I was sure it was a remora or shark sucker but it has no suction.

image-2697391318.jpg

Does anyone know what it is?

It could be a remora ( shark sucker). The tail is rounded so that's why I thought it was a goby

It's a little tricky to tell from your photo, but I am pretty confident it's a juvenile Malacanthus. Do an image search on "Malacanthus juvenile" and see if it looks close.

Tony

The other fish that comes to mind (and from a completely different family, but one more closely related to remoras) is Rachycentron - cobia or black kingfish. Again, do a search on Rachycentron juvenile to see if it looks close. This site has some photos of small juveniles: ScienceFish - Cobia Hope these two guesses help.

Tony

Yes, I realised you were not in the Indo-Pacific, but there are malacanthids still in your area. On seeing your new photo, I'm now leaning more towards my second guess.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom