What is wrong with my CoraLife light fixture?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all !

I am back in this forum after a looooooooooooong time :p

I have a 55 Gallon FW tank which has a CoraLife 2*65Watts light fixture. The fixture is about 4 years old. The problem with the fixture is it turns off by itself after being on for a couple of minutes. If I tap on the light sharply it turns on and then again turns off. If I turn it off with the switch, and then after a few hours turn it on, it (sometimes) turns on , and then randomly turns off.

I have replaced the bullbs thinking that might be a problem, but replacing the bulbs worked for 2 -3 days and it was back to its faulty behavior. Online research seems to suggest the ballast may have gone bad. Anybody have similar experience , would like to get some confirmation before I invest another $35 for the ballast (especially if that is not the problem)

I have had this issue on and off for last few months, and as a result my plants are mostly dying, I have stopped fertilizing as it is just making algae grow due to lack to light, and as a result my fish are not too happy either. please help!

Thanks
Swanand

It could be the ballast, it could also just be some loose wiring.

Assuming it's not under warranty, open it up and check that all the wiring connections are secure (obviously, unplug the unit first). If you're able to tap it and get it to come on, it may just have a loose connection somewhere.

Agree with Neilan... I've got a Coralife PC fixture, and there isn't much to go wrong. Unplug it, open it up and look for loose wiring around the switches, the ballast, and the endcaps. If you can't find anything there, and since you've already replaced the bulbs, about the only thing left is the ballast.

Back
Top Bottom