what is wrong with the mollies!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mariah

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My sister is having one heck of a time with her fish!! She is not crazy with fish like me :p i have 5 tanks and she only has one 10g tank. It was given to her with a 6 inch pleco and an algae eater. I took the pleco and she gave the fish store the algae eater. I made her keep them in that tank for just over a week just for levels to even out again (it was already cycled its just they came with a little water and wet rocks that's it. The girl had cleaned the filter) once the tank was empty, that same day we went and got plants and two female mollies for her. She got them on Feb 11th and on the 12th she had 12 baby mollies. That day i got 5 mollies from her. Everything was great up until about the beginning of march. I can't remember the exact date but she told me they had ick, white dots everywhere. I gave her two packs of super ick api treatment and went and showed her how to do it. She texted me on march 18th and said there were white dots again. I have never had ich come back so i googled it. Turns out mollies need salt. I have never had mollies before but the five i have were in salt because i keep my guppies in salt. Google also said that it might be fungus and not ich. I went there on the 18th and treated the tank with general frugal cure api. I also added 10 teaspoons of salt over a few hours. I told her how to add salt after a water change and to add another pack in two days. After the treatment was over and the day to change the water, she kept it in for a few more days because they were on the bottom being slow and still looked sick. She changed the water once they looked better. I don't know when but the one female Molly started to swim funny. She is on an angle like her heads to heavy and weighing her down. I told her to feed them peas. I said feed flakes once and peas once each day. After two days i told her to just feed only peas for the next two days since that wasn't helping her. My sister has just told me that she sees white on the fish again..... what is it!?!?!?

Hello mari...

Mollies are one the most sensitive fish available. They're sensitive about their water conditions and their food. 99.9 percent of the problem with fish dying is water related. Small tanks won't work for fish that must have pure water conditions all the time. The water in a 10 gallon tank can become unlivable in a very short time, because there isn't enough water to dilute changes in the chemistry.

Your sister could keep a small tank, but she'll need to get some extremely hardy fish like Guppies, Zebra Danios or White Clouds. These fish are pretty tolerant of mistakes in tank management. It would be best for your sister to invest in a larger tank. 30 gallons for a beginner is about right.

B

Hello mari...

Mollies are one the most sensitive fish available. They're sensitive about their water conditions and their food. 99.9 percent of the problem with fish dying is water related. Small tanks won't work for fish that must have pure water conditions all the time. The water in a 10 gallon tank can become unlivable in a very short time, because there isn't enough water to dilute changes in the chemistry.

Your sister could keep a small tank, but she'll need to get some extremely hardy fish like Guppies, Zebra Danios or White Clouds. These fish are pretty tolerant of mistakes in tank management. It would be best for your sister to invest in a larger tank. 30 gallons for a beginner is about right.

B

How is she to get rid of them if they are sick? Also, if she gets other fish, what ever they have will still be in that tank...

I am going to text my sister and tell her to basically wait it out. I am going to tell her to turn her temp up to 80 and should she add more salt? There is 10 teaspoons in the 10g tank?

Back
Top Bottom