What kind of coral is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishstuff45

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I have a ten gallon nano reef that's been running for a little over a mounts now. Yesterday I went to my lfs and got my first corals. I got a total of four. I know for sure two of them are zoanthids. The third I'm pretty sure is a green star polyp but at the moment he's still closed up so I can't really post a picture. The fourth looks a little like a Xenia but it has weird hard, tube like tenticals. Can someone please identify it? Thanks

Attachments

• image-4282341341.jpg
    image-4282341341.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 124
Welcome to AA!

It is not xenia... but I can't get more specific than that at this point :). Someone will know...

You might want to consider getting that algae in check before adding more coral. It can have a tendency to choke out coral and kill it...

I agree with fort. Not xenia and the algae needs to be put in check before any more additions are added to your tank. My best bet is you've got a type of glove polyp.

Edit* and welcome to the family :)

Ok thanks.

The algae being cleaned up at the moment. I got in emerald crab yesterday with the corals and he's already eaten all the algae of one of my live rocks and is now on to the next. The only spot now with a lot of algae is the sand and since the corals won't be staying there they should be ok.

Fishstuff45 said:
Ok thanks.

The algae being cleaned up at the moment. I got in emerald crab yesterday with the corals and he's already eaten all the algae of one of my live rocks and is now on to the next. The only spot now with a lot of algae is the sand and since the corals won't be staying there they should be ok.

Is the tank new? If you are getting a lot of algae growth that means you have excess nutrients which can stop corals from growing or even kill them which just removing the noticeable algae won't solve the nutrient problem

It's about a month old. How would I solve the excess nutrient problem?

Fishstuff45 said:

Have you tested your parameters? Phosphates?
What your feeding schedule like, maybe over feeding? Also how long are your lights on for?

The emerald crab is takin care of the issue at the moment, lets figure out why your having the issue in the first place so we can help make sure it doesn't happen again :)

Fishstuff45 said:

A tank that new is normal to see bad algae outbreaks as the last of the phosphates and silicates are drawn out of the sand and rock. Just make sure you don't overfeed and only use Ro/Di water with a quality salt mix and you shouldn't have a problem.. if it continues there are nutrient sponges availible like phosguard chemipure and gfo to name a few.

Did you cycle your tank? Or did you just put everything in at once?

I did cycle it. Normally the lights are on for about 14 hours so I'm gonna guess that's way to long and that's the main problem.

scottayy said:
Looks like it could be a frag of a pipe organ/daisy polyp coral

I don't believe so. Pipe organs have hard casings and grow in a tight cluster. OP- are the polyps soft to the touch? And do you have a better picture of them opened up?

I think they are opened up lol. See if this helps.

Attachments

• image-3385367155.jpg
    image-3385367155.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 62
Back
Top Bottom