What kind of plants are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CallMeIshmael95

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got them from the cheap surprise buds from Walmart. Those are the only plants I can ever get to sprout and grow. But the box doesn't tell you want the are.

Attachments

• image-1018258878.jpg
    image-1018258878.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 68
  • image-3927411820.jpg
    image-3927411820.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 63
I agree with the aponogeton crispus, the second one almost looks like a tall needle leaf java fern. I can't tell for sure though because I can't see a rhizome.

Did they both come from bulbs?? It cants be a java fern if it came from a bulb, even though it does look like it.

Yes they both came from bulbs. I was wondering mostly because I heard Molly's usually eat plants by mine don't touch the ones I have.

If they came from bulbs they can't be java fern. Most likely an aponegeton variety. Maybe rivercats can chime in.

I'm not a big fan of Aponogeton's but most have some type of ruffled edge. It has long thin leaves like Aponogetons longiplumulosus BUT the edges appear to be smooth in the pictures. Then add to the fact there are a lot of hybrid Aponogeton's so pinning down exactly what it is might never be possible.

Yes they both came from bulbs. I was wondering mostly because I heard Molly's usually eat plants by mine don't touch the ones I have.

Ah, didnt read too closely there :oops: Yes, java ferns will not grow from bulbs. I have gotten aponogeton bulbs from walmart, they seem to just be assorted, no set type. I agree that plant 2 may be a hybrid.

Ah, didnt read too closely there :oops: Yes, java ferns will not grow from bulbs. I have gotten aponogeton bulbs from walmart, they seem to just be assorted, no set type. I agree that plant 2 may be a hybrid.

Then is there a reason that the mollies don't eat them, or was I misinformed about mollies eating plants in the first place?

Fish in general that eat plants (mollies are known plant eaters) like tender, soft plants. Plants like water sprite, some thin soft leaf rotatla's and ludwigia's are often eaten with relish. Usually plants with tough leaves don't hold much interest for them.

Back
Top Bottom