what kind of pumps to use? help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mbeef61

Aquarium Advice Regular
i am currently running a SURGE 3500 that pushes 660gph. i am using the AQUA CLEAR pro 75 wet/dry (no bio balls)like this one
http://www.aquatichouse.com/FILTRATION MENU_files/advanwetdry.asp on my 90 gallon FOWLR, the SURGE 3500 return pump (660GPH) is also T jointed into a 29 gallon refugium. after i added the fuge i dont get enough flow back up to the main tank, so what kind of pump (GPH) should i use? i have a 29 fuge that holds LR, SHrimp, macros, and a LTA/clown, and also get enough flow back to the 90 gal FOWLR thats about 3 feet above.

ALSO, what kind of pump should i use on the skimmer that is included on the AQUA clear pro 75 (link above). now i am using a RIO 600 but its not enough, whats better?

For the skimmer I would contact the manufaturer and see what they recommend.

Have you thought about just adding a closed loop to your setup vs replacing the Surge? This would increase your water flow in the tank and at the same time keep from moving a ton of water thru the refuge. I am a big fan of the Mag pumps. These are submersable like your surge pump. I looked up the surge and I saw it was rated for 660gph at max flow. I didnt see anywhere a flow chart showing how it responds to various head heights.

i am unfamiliar with closed loop setups although i am starting to hear more about them....can you describe them to me in my application or give me a good link? i am not sure how they work...also are mag pumps quiet?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom