What kinda light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrMalta

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10 gallon, 20x10 is the dimensions.

What kinda light should I buy for it? I'm going planted for a breeding RCS tank and CO2. Catalina Aquariums isn't an option because shipping to where I live is around 60 dollars when I last asked for another aquarium.

Thanks.

Get in touch with Neilanh here on the site. He has a few very successful planted tanks. I'm thinking T5s for your tank but he may have a better idea. I'm a Salty so I can only help so much.

Hey MrMalta.

Can you describe more along what you want? You mentioned CO2, how about ferts? Are you aiming for high light setup? Shrimp seem to like a variety of plants, with mosses being their favorite. Mosses don't require much light nor CO2. But, it depends what you're wanting to do with the tank plant wise, then we can make recommendations.

I have never used ferts with my CO2 setups and I've had great growth, so I'm going to continue this. I have seachem flourite substrate - which keeps clouding the water!!

Anyways, so I'm looking for atleast 2WPG.

10 gallons is tricky, as it's right around the area where the WPG "guideline" breaks down.

There are several options you can consider in terms of lighting. I can't help you with vendors that are going to get you good deals in Canada, though, as I'm just not familiar with that. Big Als I think is in canada though, isn't it?

Anyhow, if it were me I'd setup with this light and a nice 6700k or 10000k bulb. That'll put you around 3WPG, but as I said earlier that "guideline" starts to breakdown where in smaller tanks need more light. (I run 26W on my 2.5g nano tank). If you were interested in a little more juice you could go with something like this.

Since you don't want to dose ferts (I don't blame you, don't dose my shrimp tank either), I'd probably go with the 1x28W light and see how that goes for you.

I was also looking at the both of these. I'm going to go with the first I believe 'cause BigAls in Canada's price for the second one is a lot more than the difference between these two American prices.

Thanks for the help, gonna place this order now! :)

I would suggest the first one. You would really need to dose ferts with the 2nd, along with the co2 IMO to have healthy plant growth and avoid algae.

Be careful with co2 on the shrimp tank. I recently stopped injecting it into my shrimp tank after I killed quite a few of my shrimp. :( The co2 somehow got bumped up and was injecting alot of co2 in the tank. I think shrimp are more sensitive than most fish are.

Thanks everyone. Well I did order the first set of lights along with adjustable legs. Just waiting for them to get in.

Perhaps first I'll try the tank without CO2 then. :)

Just keep a close eye out when you do start injecting it. In my experience, ferts have caused me problems with the shrimp, not CO2. Now I keep a lower CO2 level (15-20ppm) and no ferts. My tank doesn't thrive, and I see deficiencies, but I haven't figured out what to do about it. It is a high light tank (65W PC on a 20g tank).

I got my light today and set it up. It's not bad, using it over an open top with the adjustable mounting legs - the light really seems to spread across the room though.

I don't know how to measure my CO2 levels, I just have the DIY Yeast one on my 38 and it has improved everything a lot! I'll just leave the CO2 out and the ferts out, I'll probably just get some java moss and other low light plants in there.

Measuring your CO2 is simple if you have a pH and a kH test kit. With those 2 numbers, it's just a quick reference chart to determine your level.

But, your other plan will most likely be fine as well. Watch out for algae, you may need to adjust your photoperiod a bit to get everything to settle in with that amount of light. Ferns and mosses and anubias will be excellent for the shrimp.

I have never used ferts with my CO2 setups and I've had great growth, so I'm going to continue this. I have seachem flourite substrate - which keeps clouding the water!!

Anyways, so I'm looking for atleast 2WPG.
1. I have covered flourite with small gravel that prevented it from clowding the water further.
2. I used thick "pad" of filter floss in my Fluval 304 to filter out whatever was suspended in the water and was rinsing it every night for three days before all had cleared. Now it doesn't clowd even when I clean the tank with a syphon tube!

Measuring your CO2 is simple if you have a pH and a kH test kit. With those 2 numbers, it's just a quick reference chart to determine your level.

But, your other plan will most likely be fine as well. Watch out for algae, you may need to adjust your photoperiod a bit to get everything to settle in with that amount of light. Ferns and mosses and anubias will be excellent for the shrimp.

Oh that's all it takes to measure it? Where's this reference chart located?

Gimincorp - Ya I've been rinsing mine every night as well. It's already been about a week and it's still all there. Although I have noticed a difference as it's starting to diminish. I never thought about the gravel on top though, sounds like a good idea. If it doesn't clear up by this week I may just give that a shot!

You can download the calculator now at this site:
Chuck's Planted Aquarium Calculator for Windows

or you can just keep this following link and use the chart:

Measuring CO2 levels in a Planted Tank

Other links have that chart but that was just one that appeared on Google.

Anyway this is a great thread and has a lot of answers to questions I hadn't asked yet! I too may delve into a low light 10 gal planted tank shortly.

Malaysian Trumpet Snails!? Oh no look out!

Just kidding, ha, what am I supposed to do? Just get rid of my sump tank because I don't need it anymore!? It's perfectly good! Lol.

One thing it doesn't have is a light fixture. It sure is a lot nicer searching for a 20" light than a 48" one. Much easier on the wallet. I like that corallife feature.

I've also seen it suggested to just buy a cheapo incandescant light and pop a flourescent bulb in for a low light smaller planted tank.

Malaysian Trumpet Snails!? Oh no look out!

Just kidding, ha, what am I supposed to do? Just get rid of my sump tank because I don't need it anymore!? It's perfectly good! Lol.

One thing it doesn't have is a light fixture. It sure is a lot nicer searching for a 20" light than a 48" one. Much easier on the wallet. I like that corallife feature.

I've also seen it suggested to just buy a cheapo incandescant light and pop a flourescent bulb in for a low light smaller planted tank.

The Coralife fixture I bought works perfectly for my tank. Although it did come with a 50/50 so you'd have to replace that. Unless you wanted about 1 WPG.. right now I have the 50/50 in just 'cause the blue light makes tanks look good. When I get started I'll have my replacement ready.

I just currently finished siliconing my lava rock wall setup to tie the java moss too. Waiting for it to cure now... and still for the fluorite to settle, is it really worth it? Everytime I go do something it clouds the water again and takes like 12 hours to settle .. but it settles to the ground there's only so much my filter can do and I keep cleaning the foam pad!

It's such a pain I've been thinking about replacing it. But first I'm gonna try a thin layer of something else on top of it.

If that doesnt work, try Pro's choice Soilmaster select, or turface MVP (or Proleague). They come in black and brown and have great nutrient retention value.

Alternatively, you could try a higher priced made-for-aquariums substrate since you only need enough for the relatively small footprint of a 10 gal tank. Eco-complete or onyx sand doesn't cloud.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom