What lighting do I need to keep good plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now I have about 22 or so total plants i.e. java fern, anubias, java moss and elodea. I am using my stock lighting. Two hoods each showing 17W. That is pretty pathetic based on what I have researched especially for my tank being so deep. 2 feet from top to bottom. So, what can I realistically get away with that will not break the bank? Give me ideas I can look up on amazone etc. I would like to keep the tank enclosed like it is now i.e. with the hoods so I do not have anny fish jumping out.

Actually, the lighted portion of my hoods come completely off and just leaves the part that covers the tank on each side. The back portion of each one has what looks like a sliver of glass to allow for the light to shine through and the front part is the plastic part that flips up to feed etc. So if there is any kind of lighting that would be good that would just snap into place like my current lights that would be great.

Currently two 24' hoods with lights.
Thanks.

What kind of a budget are you looking at? You can get an Odyssea fixture for about $60 which should be enough for you to work with, especially given the depth of the tank. The good news is that the plants you currently have aren't particularly light hungry, which gives you some leeway in that department.

What kind of a budget are you looking at? You can get an Odyssea fixture for about $60 which should be enough for you to work with, especially given the depth of the tank. The good news is that the plants you currently have aren't particularly light hungry, which gives you some leeway in that department.

What are the details of this light fixture? wattage etc. and where would I find it?

They got a bad reputation from faulty electrics in their earlier models years ago, but since then they have become extremely popular and generally well received. They're not the best fixtures in the world, but pretty much the only lights they can beat on PAR scales are Coralife fixtures and the Fish Need It fixtures.

They got a bad reputation from faulty electrics in their earlier models years ago, but since then they have become extremely popular and generally well received. They're not the best fixtures in the world, but pretty much the only lights they can beat on PAR scales are Coralife fixtures and the Fish Need It fixtures.

Thats good, and to your point I would agree that the best two options for you are the following, Fishneedit.com, Coralife fixtures little more expensive but they have fans and are nice. Also check out Lighting - Catalina Aquarium they have some great fixtures and i got the one for my 75g from them.

All three i have owned and have to say they all perform about the same. of course the more you pay the better quality you get but they will all grow plants as long as you have enough bulbs lol

Back
Top Bottom