What nutrient am I missing??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blackwood

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought some plants last week from AquariumPlants.com (that was an experience all in itself). It doesn't look like several of them aren't doing well. They seemed fine when I got them, but seem to be going downhill. Any ideas based on the pictures what's missing??

Plant1.jpg

Plant2.jpg

Plant3.jpg

I'm using AquariumPlants.com 'Total Substrate Pellets' (go under the plant roots), as well as Seachem Trace and Flourapride (iron and potassium) fertilizers. I have no idea how to diagnose what's wrong based on the plant damage. Any ideas??

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

R

Are you using CO2?

What is your nitrate testing at?

How long are you lighting the tank per day?

What is the color temp of the bulbs you are using in your fixture?

Are you using any flourish excel (carbon source)?

How much Trace and Flourapride are you dosing?

The fact that it is a tall tank could be a concern, all though T5HOs are the best bulbs to use on a tall tank, so I doubt if that is what is causing this. But, it really looks like a lighting issue of some kind.

Vals and Crypts tend to melt when you change their tank environment....might be what is going on with those. Lighting may also be an issue with the tank being tall, though I agree with Fort....T5HO is supposed to penetrate the water column well.

I have injected C02 with a 55 gallon (max) reactor that's on 24/7. it's put my PH up to 7.6 over the last couple days, so I've turned it off for the night.

The 45gallon 'tall' tank is only 24" tall. It's 'tall' for a 45 gallon tank, but not all that tall over all.

Lighting is on a timer, on for 11 hours a day right now. I'll probably cut it back some if algae becomes an issue. It hasn't so far. Both bulbs are 6700k.

Not using any Flourish Excel or other carbon source since I'm injecting C02.

I'm dosing 20ml of Flourapride once a week with the 40% water change (only once since getting the plants, changed water today), and 20ml of trace twice a week.

The tops of the plants that look like they are browning and 'melting', the grass looking stuff, is only about 7" from the lights, so it shouldn't be an issue with them and the lights.

My Nitrate is testing at zero, or very near it. I'm using dip sticks, and there's so little color it appears to be zero. Might be as high as 3-4 ppm. Maybe.

From appearances, the tank is well lit all the way to the bottom. I have some tiny pieces of water sprite rooted, and it grows like mad. I may just let it take over the tank as it tends to do since it so easy to grow... I need to get the Oak Leaf water sprite though, since my wife likes the thicker leaf stuff.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to fix this.

Ok a couple of things:

CO2 lowers pH. If your pH is 7.6 then you probably aren't getting much in the tank. Is it a DIY system or a pressurized system? What was the pH before you added a CO2 system? (this stuff is gee whiz, even if your Co2 as at equilibrium with the air - around 7ppm - it would not cause your plants to turn this quickly).

Light sounds more than adequate. You may actually consider cutting it back to 10 hrs a day. This will be more than enough, and will help curtail a future algae outbreak.

Sounds like you could be bottoming out on Nitrates, which may be a problem. I don't think that is what is causing the issue though. But, it is something you will want to correct in the future, or it too can cause algae, as well as poor plant growth.

With 78W of T5HO lighting in the proper spectrum, you are going to want to dose N, K, and trace (already got K and trace covered it sounds like). You will potentially need P as well.

My guess is, Kristen nailed it. Some plants, especially Vals and crypts, are known for being very sensitive to moving around. Even when i move crypts within my own tank, it some times takes them a week to bounce back. You have a situation where the plants came from another tank entirely and spent time in the mail. My guess is they are stressed. I don't think you would see symptoms this severe inside a week if it were a nutrient deficiency.

I would give it a few days, trim the dead stuff, and see if the plants bounce back. Based on the info you are giving us, they should.

Hmmm, my PH was 7.0 before I turned the C02 up. I had it originally at about 1 bubble every 2 seconds before I got the plants (only had water sprite and cabomba before that). I turned it up to 1 per second when I doubled the plant load, and the PH went to 7.6 over the course of a week. Odd. Oh, it's a 5lb pressurized system, regulator, bubble counter, etc... I have the reactor outgassing directly into the intake on my powerhead so it spreads the micro bubbles throughout the entire tank, rather than just up to the surface.

I'll have to find a good source of Nitrates then. Supposedly, the root tabs should give everything I need, but I haven't had the plants and tabs in the tank long enough to tell. I'm hoping the water change will help (did it a few hours ago).

I'll keep an eye on things and see how the plants respond. Hopefully they'll start to bounce back soon.

Thanks for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

There is something going on there then. CO2 definitely lowers pH. What kind of pH test are you using?

One of the simple 6-in-1 stick dip tests. I'll pick up a better test today so I can get a more accurate reading.

Back
Top Bottom