what ON EARTH is growing on my duncan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

egrape

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had this Duncan for about a month and a half now, and at first I was struggling with some tissue on the Duncan deteriorating. Nothing major, i never lost any heads, but just enough tissue loss to worry me a lot haha. now, it's almost fully recovered, still a few bare spots, but it is working on growing four new heads! anyways, today I was looking at it and seeing how much the tissue had regrown and I turned it around and there is this bizzare white spongey thing. I freak out and violently knock it off my Duncan, so now it's floating around somewhere in the tank, and then I find another. thinking a little more rationally, I take a few photos and leave it be. what is it? do I remove this one too? these dudes appear to be growing on the only two remaining bare spots. ive had to fight off creatures before while the duncan was healing, i had a snail that developed a taste for dying duncan flesh, but never something like this... IM SO CREEPED OUT.

Attachments

• image-2442018328.jpg
    image-2442018328.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 144
  • image-2729906324.jpg
    image-2729906324.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 155
here's another photo. the Duncan's a little unhappy with me right now after the brutal assassination of its hitchhiker, hence why it is closed up.

Attachments

• image-1926408366.jpg
    image-1926408366.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 132
It's probably just a sponge. Harmless to the coral, I had some growing beside a bunch of mushrooms, they did no harm

I can't see it real well but im pretty sure its a pineapple sponge there common in farely new tanks.

phew. yeah I think so too. so should I remove him or leave him?

Id leave it. Its not really hurting anything and it will die off eventually anyways. That's just one less time that your hand goes in the tank and that's always a plus.

Back
Top Bottom