what parts do i need

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach119

Aquarium Advice Activist
i got a 30 gallon tank and nothing for it what all do i need to get it going???
ex: lights water etc..... what brands do you suggest and how much am i looking at to get it going ?

lights arnt the most important unless your doing corals....and you should get a couple of heaters(two incase once breaks..Visa-therm)
protein skimmer-bakpak 2(your tank wont need a sump with that size.)
maxi-jet 1200-one should be fine...(ask about how many...not too sure.)
sand-playsand would work fine(argonite)
base rock- www.hirocks.com
lr- www.liverock.com
hydrometer- any kind is good
salt- I herd wonders about instant ocean
test kit- ask aroung about that you deff. dont want to be cheep on that get the best you can...

if im missing anything please fill in... :|

also, take your time and ask questions.....maybe get the book marine aquarist by Robbert Fenner.

everyone is a big help here at AA :p .
Good Luck :D ,
Ant

what is the sump for ive hard alot about it but never what it really is and does can you answer that for me please? what is the maxi jet??? and i was prolllly not gonna use any live rock because id like to keep just like 2 fish for a lil bit to see if i like it before i commit to that 120 gallon or 220 gallon. im just a beginner and need to see if i can handle the work before i do it but i know itll be worth it in the long run im sure

A sump is mostly for corals..you deff dont need one with 2 fish.... you can check the articles section on here and look up sump...it gives a great definition...a maxi-jet is waht gets the current in your water....most marine fish need water movement..the jets are real cheap..prolly around 20 bucks....and live rock, i think is pretty manditory if doing a salt water tank of any sort....im not sure tho...lando or steve-s can help you with the lr and the sump questions....they are real helpful when it comes to information....also, if you dont understand the article section of the sump(which i didnt either,) just PM me and ill try to explain it in an esier way...... :lol:

Good luck

In short, a sump is a tank below your display tank -- it increases the total volume of water and provides a convenient hiding place for things like heaters and skimmers.

LR is not at all mandatory, but most here would agree that the good outweighs the bad. Check out liverocks.com -- it's not all that expensive compared to what you should be prepared to spend in this hobby.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom